Free roam

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Look Tom. I understand your concern, and I really appreciate. It is a big issue; I've seen it myself, and it's happened to me before as a kid where I spent hours to find my turtle.I'm not a novice keeper. I know turtles and tortoises are faster than they're portrayed in our cheesy cartoons and what not, but I already know this. I was watching the tortoises closely, my 2 acres is fenced, and they were in the center of my yard where I had no chance of losing them. I know you have good intentions, but you have to remember, this is a form of social media. Your tone can be misinterpreted. Which I've noticed with a lot of the long time members; excited to share years of information from trial and error, and it can come off and be percieved the wrong way to new members. I know you guys want the best for animals and their keepers, which is why I joined the forum. I'm not offended by you at all, in fact, I appreciate you, but you have to keep in mind that people can't hear you and some people are easily offended.
What part of this do you think I don't already understand?

You've answered my question to you from my last post. Your tortoise will teach you the lesson that I am unable to.

Thomasstortoise

Greystones
Have you lost a pet turtle or tortoise? Its an awful feeling. Gut wrenching.

This is not paranoia. This is inevitability, and I try to help people avoid this easily preventable catastrophe whenever possible. This forum is littered with threads of people who've lost their tortoises. We see several a month, and those are just the ones who come here and ask what to do.

Relaxing is not what is needed when it comes to people letting their tortoise free roam.
I 100% agree with you, whenever i let my tortoise free roam i am always watching him, i let him outside whenever its warm as sunny and i have been doing this for a while now and everything is fine, the only reason why i said that is because people always tell me you are paranoid nothing is going to happen just leave him outside and come back later of course I didn’t do this and i stayed outside with

TaylorTortoise

Abington
In certain species, cooler temperatures during brumation and the following warm-up in the spring are believed to stimulate the females to ovulate and the males to produce sperm for the breeding season which will occur in the late spring/early summer.
Interesting. First, I didn’t know female tortoises ovulate like actual woman. Do they get periods too? xD

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I 100% agree with you, whenever i let my tortoise free roam i am always watching him, i let him outside whenever its warm as sunny and i have been doing this for a while now and everything is fine, the only reason why i said that is because people always tell me you are paranoid nothing is going to happen just leave him outside and come back later of course I didn’t do this and i stayed outside with
Sometimes I let mine free roam the front lawn, and I’ll be taking in nature then the next thing you know I’m like where is my baby!!! So I’m trying to find him and he’s just blended in really well in the grass. But sometimes I can relate to that OMG feeling where did he go

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sometimes I let mine free roam the front lawn, and I’ll be taking in nature then the next thing you know I’m like where is my baby!!! So I’m trying to find him and he’s just blended in really well in the grass. But sometimes I can relate to that OMG feeling where did he go
This is why you DON'T do this. You ask anyone who has lost a tortoise this way. They thought it was safe, they thought the tortoise couldn't go anywhere, they were closely supervising and paying attention, and then, POOF!, their tortoise is gone. Seemingly vanished into thin air. "I looked for hours and couldn't find him anywhere, but there is no way he could have gotten away so fast. I only looked away for a second..."

The other one is dogs. "My dog would never harm my tortoise. They've lived together for 5 years." Then, munch munch munch, nom nom nom... Followed by: " OMG! He's NEVER done THAT before..." Meanwhile the tortoise is all:
Young_tortoise_chewed_by_dog_-_stigmochelys_pardalis_CT.jpg

TaylorTortoise

Abington
This is why you DON'T do this. You ask anyone who has lost a tortoise this way. They thought it was safe, they thought the tortoise couldn't go anywhere, they were closely supervising and paying attention, and then, POOF!, their tortoise is gone. Seemingly vanished into thin air. "I looked for hours and couldn't find him anywhere, but there is no way he could have gotten away so fast. I only looked away for a second..."

The other one is dogs. "My dog would never harm my tortoise. They've lived together for 5 years." Then, munch munch munch, nom nom nom... Followed by: " OMG! He's NEVER done THAT before..."
Tom

The other one is dogs. "My dog would never harm my tortoise. They've lived together for 5 years." Then, munch munch munch, nom nom nom... Followed by: " OMG! He's NEVER done THAT before..."
Tom I know,
But my point is even for a split second something can definitely happen and you can lose your babies that fast. Meaning we sometimes will take advantage of those times thinking “the rabbit is faster than the turtle”

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom

Tom I know,
But my point is even for a split second something can definitely happen and you can lose your babies that fast. Meaning we sometimes will take advantage of those times thinking “the rabbit is faster than the turtle”
Then WHY would you do this?

Instead, why wouldn't you come here and say: "I'd never let my tortoise free roam because I almost lost him that way. Now I only let him roam outside within the safe confines of an enclosure..."

Dandelion_@_

New Hampshire
Look Tom. I understand your concern, and I really appreciate. It is a big issue; I've seen it myself, and it's happened to me before as a kid where I spent hours to find my turtle.I'm not a novice keeper. I know turtles and tortoises are faster than they're portrayed in our cheesy cartoons and what not, but I already know this. I was watching the tortoises closely, my 2 acres is fenced, and they were in the center of my yard where I had no chance of losing them. I know you have good intentions, but you have to remember, this is a form of social media. Your tone can be misinterpreted. Which I've noticed with a lot of the long time members; excited to share years of information from trial and error, and it can come off and be percieved the wrong way to new members. I know you guys want the best for animals and their keepers, which is why I joined the forum. I'm not offended by you at all, in fact, I appreciate you, but you have to keep in mind that people can't hear you and some people are easily offended.
To all the newbies out there: if you're going to be easily offended by top experts trying to help you keep your pet alive, healthy, and comfortable in the wildly different circumstances these animals see around the world via this forum....maybe consider if perhaps it is you who's at fault. Tom is terse oftentimes, and I utterly appreciate that very factor: he tells it like it is, which he does not have to tell at all. There's no question he and others who know their stuff spend their time here out of care for our animals and the people responsible for them. Take advantage of the free expert advice and be grateful you have free access to this level of support. And learn to read fierceness of tone for what it really is: dedication.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Interesting. First, I didn’t know female tortoises ovulate like actual woman. Do they get periods too? xD
No they do not get periods like humans. They do give off pheromones which indicate their readiness to breed to male tortoises, though.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
To all the newbies out there: if you're going to be easily offended by top experts trying to help you keep your pet alive, healthy, and comfortable in the wildly different circumstances these animals see around the world via this forum....maybe consider if perhaps it is you who's at fault. Tom is terse oftentimes, and I utterly appreciate that very factor: he tells it like it is, which he does not have to tell at all. There's no question he and others who know their stuff spend their time here out of care for our animals and the people responsible for them. Take advantage of the free expert advice and be grateful you have free access to this level of support. And learn to read fierceness of tone for what it really is: dedication.
Frankly...I have not ever seen Tom be "terse" in an important comment. Newbies can't handle truth put simply...if we don't agree their enclosure and tort are cuter than any, they get panties in an uproar...I would like to make this forum for those older than 40 and very experienced in keeping chelonia... Noob's stay out...

Emmawilly

Plymouth
Actually I like the debate. The more the disagreement on something, the more it makes me research on other TFO threads and inevitably, you see many other posts backing up the feedback from the more experienced keeper. So you come away having really learned something worthwhile. If you really care for tortoises, you shouldn't try to block anyone out, (especially not by age, as many young people are just as passionate and some more knowledgeable).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would like to make this forum for those older than 40 and very experienced in keeping chelonia... Noob's stay out...
I love you Maggie, but I don't agree with this at all. Noobs and young people need the help, and I'm happy to give it. I wish there as a resource like this when you and I were learning the ropes. Think of how much more we would know today, if you and I didn't have to learn all of this stuff the hard way so many years ago.

No. I think this forum is perfect as is. Experienced veterans like Mark the other day teaching us all about the difference between brumation and hibernation, mixing with first time brand new tortoise keepers. Who better to help future generations get it right the first time and go on to be the veterans of the future. Having this mixture of experienced knowledgable people and beginners is the best way to help the most tortoises.
Actually I like the debate. The more the disagreement on something, the more it makes me research on other TFO threads and inevitably, you see many other posts backing up the feedback from the more experienced keeper. So you come away having really learned something worthwhile. If you really care for tortoises, you shouldn't try to block anyone out, (especially not by age, as many young people are just as passionate and some more knowledgeable).
I agree. The threads where we argue our points are definitely the treads where I learn the most.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Well said!!!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I love you Maggie, but I don't agree with this at all. Noobs and young people need the help, and I'm happy to give it. I wish there as a resource like this when you and I were learning the ropes. Think of how much more we would know today, if you and I didn't have to learn all of this stuff the hard way so many years ago.

No. I think this forum is perfect as is. Experienced veterans like Mark the other day teaching us all about the difference between brumation and hibernation, mixing with first time brand new tortoise keepers. Who better to help future generations get it right the first time and go on to be the veterans of the future. Having this mixture of experienced knowledgable people and beginners is the best way to help the most tortoises.

I agree. The threads where we argue our points are definitely the treads where I learn the most.
I know you're right but...guess sometimes I just get tired of the repetitive nature...:)

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
My free roam horror story. When I was a kid we had a bunch of box turtles that free roamed our back yard. One day my mom's new boyfriend decided to mow the back yard for her. Sniffles (you can probably guess why I named him that) was bedded down in the grass and was killed by the mower.
Its probably been 30 years and I still haven't forgiven her.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know you're right but...guess sometimes I just get tired of the repetitive nature...:)
This is just one of many reasons why its good to have a community of us. On days you are tired of it and don't want to deal with it, others can pick up that slack. I get busy with family, work or fun, and some days I don't have the patience for it either. On those days I notice many other members here helping out new keepers with all the usual questions.

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu

The other one is dogs. "My dog would never harm my tortoise. They've lived together for 5 years." Then, munch munch munch, nom nom nom... Followed by: " OMG! He's NEVER done THAT before..." Meanwhile the tortoise is all:
View attachment 334366
It would never happen to me! But I looked away for just a second and POOF! Snoopy was gone. My son was heartbroken. I hope more people listen to you, trying to console a kid is gut wrenching. Listening and following through on advice is much easier.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It would never happen to me! But I looked away for just a second and POOF! Snoopy was gone. My son was heartbroken. I hope more people listen to you, trying to console a kid is gut wrenching. Listening and following through on advice is much easier.
Human nature, behavior, and decision making has always fascinated me. As a career animal trainer, observing and understanding behavior and subtle signals is second nature to me. Human behavior is just as fascinating and perplexing as any animal, and often more so.

To sum up this thread and so many others like it, I have a simple quip: "Some people gotta learn things the hard way." This is not necessarily an insult. I am as guilty of this as anyone. Its a complex and sometimes difficult to understand element of human nature. I say that I wish there was a resource like this forum when I was learning all about tortoises and other reptiles, but I probably would have been too stubborn and argumentative to listen even if there was.