Gadget question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I've already got a temperature gun to check all my temps. Talk about a fun toy! My cat Julio's butt is 76* and my cat Monty's big fluffy tail is 69* (I know you were all just dying to know that!:))
Questions:
Is there any real reason I need a thermometer with a probe?
How many hygrometers do I really need?
The enclosure will be 4x3. Is there any benefit to mounting the UV light crossways as opposed to longways? (crossways seems easier and is what I was planning) Thanks. :tort:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Though I personally don't need to know the various temps of cat's body part, I am glad you are enjoying using it.

EKLC

5 Year Member
no probe needed in my opinion. Surface temps are going to be similar to the air temps in an indoor setting.

As for hygrometer, feel free to get one for piece of mind, but its easy enough to make an area damp without an exact measurement

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I have about 2 dozen thermometers, none with a probe. I have yet to have need to check the substrate temperature past the surface! I believe that hygrometers are a necessity when keeping reptiles. Humidity levels play an important part in the animals overall health so it is always important to monitor. The same goes for temperatures. I use only digital thermo/hydro combination units. The ones that I have had great luck with over the years is made by Springfield, model 91551. Two side my side may vary by a degree or a humidity percentage level or two occasionally but all in all they have always been very reliable. They're usually around $9-14 each.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I have an outoor type thermometer/hygrometer with a wireless sensor. I leave it in the cage at all times with the display somewhere where I can see it while im home and if I want to know the temp of a specific area I just move the sensor over and get a reading. It works for me and allows me to only have one thermometer/hygrometer.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
jtrux said:
I have an outoor type thermometer/hygrometer with a wireless sensor. I leave it in the cage at all times with the display somewhere where I can see it while im home and if I want to know the temp of a specific area I just move the sensor over and get a reading. It works for me and allows me to only have one thermometer/hygrometer.

Thanks to all!

*Barracuda_50*

5 Year Member
Harrietta, MI
Moozilion said:
I've already got a temperature gun to check all my temps. Talk about a fun toy! My cat Julio's butt is 76* and my cat Monty's big fluffy tail is 69* (I know you were all just dying to know that!:))

LOL!!:D:D Thats to funny.. LOL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.