Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
While talking to my oldest son on Sunday, I found out he has 31 pots he grows things in. lol I was so impressed. lol He is so excited because he has moved in with his gf and her children and where they live has a community garden he can grow stuff in also. It's so much fun having a child who has taken an interest in gardening.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Here they seem to get woody way too fast. Seems we go from being able to plant to too hot too quickly.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I've grown Shitaake mushrooms! I ordered a kit from Mississippi Mushroom after some of their folks did a demo at our farmers market here in Covington (Louisiana). The kit is a big, partially compressed block of sawdust full of mushroom spores and nutrients for them. The instructions had you soak the block for a few hours, then tent it VERY loosely with any sort of light plastic waterproof tent, then spray it with a mister 4-6 times a day! It worked great and I got SEVERAL full crops from that one block- which is nice because shitaakes are so expensive.
I plan to do it again once I'm home more!:):):)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Oh, WOW!!!! Those glow in the dark mushrooms are AMAZING!!!:)

Ryan Kruse

Let me show you what my Mother in-law did for our garden. She been a farmer all her life in China, She is now live with us. She used every inch of our very small back yard and grow all kind of thing through out the different seasons. She provided fresh vegetables for us and for our tort]

Awesome! I am a little jealous :)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I've grown Shitaake mushrooms! I ordered a kit from Mississippi Mushroom after some of their folks did a demo at our farmers market here in Covington (Louisiana). The kit is a big, partially compressed block of sawdust full of mushroom spores and nutrients for them. The instructions had you soak the block for a few hours, then tent it VERY loosely with any sort of light plastic waterproof tent, then spray it with a mister 4-6 times a day! It worked great and I got SEVERAL full crops from that one block- which is nice because shitaakes are so expensive.
I plan to do it again once I'm home more!:):):)

Where did you keep it in your home? What temps?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
It's been a few years since I grew them. As I recall, I just kept it in a back room- our house is air conditioned so the temp was around 70* which was not exactly what they recommended, but it worked anyway. I think they actually recommended a bit cooler, but I don't recall.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Cameron, do you garden a lot?

Not as much as I would. I had an idea when I bought my house that I'd only live here for 5-10 years, so I try not to get too invested. Mostly container plants, novelties, and experiments. Now that I got to thinking about those mushrooms again, I'm probably gonna be trying that sometime soon.

Prairie Mom

Man!!! Where's the PAUSE button on the forum!!?!?!?!??! I can't find it anywhere and I'm missing too much stuff!!! I'm going to have to do what Blake said he did a while ago and find some time to just sit down and read the thread for an hour to get caught up. Hopefully, I'll have a little time later tonight. I'm looking forward to an entertaining read while I daydream about the sunshine;)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Man!!! Where's the PAUSE button on the forum!!?!?!?!??! I can't find it anywhere and I'm missing too much stuff!!! I'm going to have to do what Blake said he did a while ago and find some time to just sit down and read the thread for an hour to get caught up. Hopefully, I'll have a little time later tonight. I'm looking forward to an entertaining read while I daydream about the sunshine;)

lol I know what you mean. I broke my laptop, so I can only get online at the library which has a 30 minute limit, but usually you can get away with an hour. It seems I use up all my time just trying to catch up on what I missed since the last time on. :(