Garden State Tortoise

Turtlegirl22

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Hey guys! I recently placed an order with Chris, from Garden State Tortoise for a Western Hermann for 2024. He said I would be looking at Late Spring. Did anyone else do an order recently? & How long on average was the wait? Is 6 months the usual? Thanks!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might have to do with what he has on hand and what eggs are due to hatch and when. Breeders with babies to sell don't have babies in suspended animation just waiting for a buyer. My tortoise partner, for example, keeps newly hatched babies a couple months to be sure the babies are eating well and are healthy, but then they are sold. Once the babies sell the breeder has to wait until more eggs hatch. It's not mass production.

Turtlegirl22

New Jersey
It might have to do with what he has on hand and what eggs are due to hatch and when. Breeders with babies to sell don't have babies in suspended animation just waiting for a buyer. My tortoise partner, for example, keeps newly hatched babies a couple months to be sure the babies are eating well and are healthy, but then they are sold. Once the babies sell the breeder has to wait until more eggs hatch. It's not mass production.
Great! Thank you!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Couple members that purchased from him and was told a certain time they would be shipped had to wait all summer. I'm not even sure if both got them or not. If I can find the thread I will post a link here.
I trust he won't rip you off, just don't trust he will get it too you in a speedy time. But to order at this time of year, a wait till spring is fairly normal.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Hey guys! I recently placed an order with Chris, from Garden State Tortoise for a Western Hermann for 2024. He said I would be looking at Late Spring. Did anyone else do an order recently? & How long on average was the wait? Is 6 months the usual? Thanks!!

Your location is listed as New Jersey, is that accurate? I thought there was something about no in-state sales in New Jersey. You might want to verify that he'll actually be able to sell to you.
----------
I went looking:

Not my state so if its still that way or has changed, idk. but better to find out now instead of waiting 6 months to be disappointed.

Turtlegirl22

New Jersey
Yes, no worries. My aunt technically “bought” it and it will be delivered to her home in Pennsylvania. So it’ll be considered like a gift, if that makes sense. Thank you for checking!

Reactions: Tom

Q&hermes

San antonio
Yea I ordered a Dalmatian Hermann, I wanted western but the list was full based on clutches for the year and I wouldn’t get one for a long time, I waited 2 months. Mine had just hatched. He’s sells hatchlings so he waits for them to actually hatch then 8-11 weeks of age to make sure perfectly healthy and what not. Once they get first growth ring he then he ships them over night. I have had mine Hermes since august of 23 he’s going great. Comparison photos

Attachments

• IMG_7556.jpeg
    IMG_7556.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0617.jpeg
    IMG_0617.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2

zovick

10 Year Member!
Yea I ordered a Dalmatian Hermann, I wanted western but the list was full based on clutches for the year and I wouldn’t get one for a long time, I waited 2 months. Mine had just hatched. He’s sells hatchlings so he waits for them to actually hatch then 8-11 weeks of age to make sure perfectly healthy and what not. Once they get first growth ring he then he ships them over night. I have had mine Hermes since august of 23 he’s going great. Comparison photos
Your tortoise looks good. Congratulations on your success.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Nicely done! The tortoise looks fantastic.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Cute tortoise.