gardening advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mango matto

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas
Hey everybody,
I have a hideous chain link fence surrounding my yard. I want to cover it with some sort of greenery. I was looking for suggestions on different plants to consider that would not be harmful to Speedy( sulcata) who has free roam of the yard. I would like one of the flowering type vines but I am obviously open to all suggestions. Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Grape vine!! Edible and pretty to look at.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Grape leaves, along with mulberry tree leaves are EXCELLENT tortoise food!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
One more vote for grape vines. Not the fruit, just the leaves. They are hardy, grow fast and are very nutritious.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I third or fourth the idea of a grape plant,I have 3 and they provide a good chunk of my food for my tortoises. Plus they should grow really really well against a chain link fence.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Since you are leaning that way... they need to be planted in the hottest, sunniest part of your yard in full sun. If you pinch off any little grape clusters that start to form you will get more vine and leaf growth.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I really need to try to plant a grape vine again this year. I planted what looked like a dead stick from Home Depot last year and (not surprisingly) nothing grew :p

mango matto

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Oh my goodness I started researching growing grapes and ya'll have opened a massive can of worms....... Sheesh what grapes should I grow.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Why, Thompson Seedless, of course! That way the tortoise can eat the leaves and you and your family can eat the fruit!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have grape vines growing in my tortoise enclosure and my boxie enclosure for years. The boxies only eat the grapes, but Pio will eat the leaves and the grapes. I even bring a load of leaves in and put them in paper towels and plastic bags to keep for a few months into the winter.

M

Maggie Cummings

I've been planning on planting grape vines against my chain link fence this spring if I can find some. 2 of my neighbors have big old vines and they feed Bob all spring and summer. He loves the leaves.

L

lira6joseph

Basically tortoise are Omnivorous animals.
But they prefer mostly plant leaves and fruits.
They love to eat fig leaves, grape leaves, carrot tops, green beans, blueberries and many fruits.

mike1011

5 Year Member
Hello, just wondering if the grape vines winter over well. Are they usually lost during the winter, need to get cut back, or just left along and they take up where they were? Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mike.

The plant goes dormant during the winter. You can prune it back, but the grapes for this year grow on last year's stems, so you kinda' have to know what you're doing.

mike1011

5 Year Member
Thanks, I think I will try my luck with one or two of those this year.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
mango matto said:
Oh my goodness I started researching growing grapes and ya'll have opened a massive can of worms....... Sheesh what grapes should I grow.

I've got six different kinds and you can actually see the difference in the leaves and their texture. Torts like them all. They all grow about the same. I don't see any real difference other than the flavor of the grapes.

mike1011 said:
Thanks, I think I will try my luck with one or two of those this year.

Yvonne is right. There is a whole art form involved in properly pruning them. They have masters that get paid a lot of money for it. I didn't prune mine at all this winter. I sure fed out all those leaves before they fell off though.

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Mexico
If you decide on going for the grape vine, just make sure its big enough once you plant it....
I had almost 10 planted about 3 years ago, and they where kind of small...
Next day I went out to my garden with my evening coffee, and they were all GONE!
i was shocked!!! ...
one of my little rascal seems to love vines hahaha
I would say grape vines are a really good choice.... =) ... I love grapes
I will try to get some more.. and grow them a little bit before planting them down xD

Status
Not open for further replies.