Gender Confirmation

Duck egg queen

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
My youngest THB’s are due to move into their outside enclosures in the coming few weeks. (Aged 3). Just wanted to check what opinion everyone has on their sex to confirm so they go into the right juvenile enclosures. I think one male and one female. They are from the same clutch. Thank you for anyone who looks and comments.

Attachments

• 1CD8E72B-23CB-40EB-A3E8-AC127F9D44B8.jpeg
    1CD8E72B-23CB-40EB-A3E8-AC127F9D44B8.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 649AE699-777D-4D7A-AA85-0CAB1C96A112.jpeg
    649AE699-777D-4D7A-AA85-0CAB1C96A112.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi. No idea about their sex. But curious as to what you mean by "...the right enclosures"? You do gender specific enclosures?

zovick

10 Year Member!
My youngest THB’s are due to move into their outside enclosures in the coming few weeks. (Aged 3). Just wanted to check what opinion everyone has on their sex to confirm so they go into the right juvenile enclosures. I think one male and one female. They are from the same clutch. Thank you for anyone who looks and comments.
I cannot see enough of the tail on the one tortoise to tell anything about its sex. IMHO, though, they still look too young to visually determine their sexes accurately.

Duck egg queen

Uk
Thank you all for your welcome and comments. I have always sexed from size rather than age and sometimes younger than 3.
Yes my females share a large juvenile enclosure whereas sexed males are kept separate.
I am waiting for the warmer weather here in the UK and will hold out for a few more weeks but I see some mounting behaviour in tort 1 and the tail is longer and carried to the side now whereas the cloaca looks more female and ‘flower-shaped’ to me with tort 2.

Any further opinions are welcome.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you all for your welcome and comments. I have always sexed from size rather than age and sometimes younger than 3.
Yes my females share a large juvenile enclosure whereas sexed males are kept separate.
I am waiting for the warmer weather here in the UK and will hold out for a few more weeks but I see some mounting behaviour in tort 1 and the tail is longer and carried to the side now whereas the cloaca looks more female and ‘flower-shaped’ to me with tort 2.

Any further opinions are welcome.
Dominant females are known to exhibit mounting behavior on their submissive cagemates, so the fact that one is mounting the other doesn't prove it to be a male. For real proof, you will need to see it evert its penis as many other keepers here have done over the years.