Getting a cherry to be more active

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sezdawg

5 Year Member
I was just wondering what techniques people have used to get their red foots more active.

Nerdling

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edmonton
If your tort is being sluggish, check to make sure your temperatures are right and you have the proper UVB lighting. I have a little Cherryhead hatchling and she's always trucking about in her enclosure :) It's so fun to watch!

Sezdawg

5 Year Member
Nerdling said:
If your tort is being sluggish, check to make sure your temperatures are right and you have the proper UVB lighting. I have a little Cherryhead hatchling and she's always trucking about in her enclosure :) It's so fun to watch!

What kind of lighting would you suggest? I have a 4ft reptisun 10.0 hanging above the enclosure, but should I provide more shade? He just comes out to eat then goes back in the hide and stares out lol. He's 6months old but I've only had him two weeks. Could he just be getting used to the surroundings still?

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Remember, baby tort's natural instinct is to hide from predators, that is why they hide.

Sezdawg

5 Year Member
You are quite right! Any tips on how to acclimatize a tort to humans?

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Adding plants is a good way to make them feel safe while being out and about. Mine goes from plant to plant, leaf to leaf, peering from underneath (her whole shell is exposed but the leaf above her head makes her think she's hidden) and since I added those, she's always out, no more hiding :)

Sezdawg

5 Year Member
diaboliqueturtle said:
Adding plants is a good way to make them feel safe while being out and about. Mine goes from plant to plant, leaf to leaf, peering from underneath (her whole shell is exposed but the leaf above her head makes her think she's hidden) and since I added those, she's always out, no more hiding :)

Thanks for the tip! I'm off to the pet store haha!

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Sezdawg said:
Thanks for the tip! I'm off to the pet store haha!

I also planted these, from the grocery store. The first lettuce lasted 3 weeks, the kale lasted 4 days. They don't replace or interfere with her meals, it's just a handy snack and so awesome to see her walk around, stopping for a nibble :)

I doubt this new batch will last more than a week :)

Attachments

• image-1147543114.png
    image-1147543114.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • image-1660696982.png
    image-1660696982.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • image-2236867903.png
    image-2236867903.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 32

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
What are your temperatures and humidity levels?

If it's too cold and dry, the tortoise may not be very active. My enclosures are ~85ºF on the warm end and 80-82ºF on the cool end. Basking spots run 90-92ºF. Even at these temperatures, they spend a majority of the time sleeping and hiding because they are babies - just as the others have previously said.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I noticed when Rosie was in a smaller plastic tub she'd wander more but I think in reality she was just looking for an escape since she'd be clawing up the edges. She is now in a larger planted enclosure and wanders from plant to plant and comes out to eat, drink, and some basking but otherwise she's behind or near her plants 80% of the time. I think she just feels safer that way, as others have said. She's a few months shy of 2 years old so she's fairly young.

Status
Not open for further replies.