Getting another redfoot

marine778

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winter Springs, Florida
So I recently got a baby redfoot about 3 months ago. I may be getting another redfoot within a month or so and I was wondering if the new tortoise would have to be a certain age group. (I am unsure of the little guy's sex currently, I just have a feeling he is a guy)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

It's a good idea to get another tortoise of the same general size as the existing tortoise. Then, you need to quarantine the new tortoise for at least 3 months before putting them together.

Redfooted tortoises get along ok in groups, but most tortoises don't. You have to be alert for bullying and make sure both tortoises are getting their share of food. Also, be sure to have a big enough habitat for two tortoises. With the quarantine period, you have lots of time to plan for this.

marine778

5 Year Member
Winter Springs, Florida
Alright thanks for the info!

I may have to hold off on that because of the quarantine, i'll need to clear out more space for a second enclosure for the new tortoise.

Thanks for the welcome!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Welcome to the land of tort addicts! I guess the desire for more kicked in earlier than expected but you've chosen a species that, like Yvonne stated, have been recorded to do well together in groups :D This probably doesn't help much (don't hate on me for being an enabler) but if you're getting one more, get an extra one if you have the room. I've read on the forum that the dynamics are very different when dealing with tort pairs versus having 3+. Whatever decision you make, congrats and keep us updated! <3

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Why not get four more so you can have a 3 female to 1 male ratio. :D:D:D:D just kidding but like Yvonne said make sure you quarantine them. Welcome to TFO! You broke a rule and did not post pictures of your tortoise.:dodgy:

marine778

5 Year Member
Winter Springs, Florida
Oh sorry about not posting a picture of him, here he is:

(his name's Herman)

Attachments

• phone pictures 027.jpg
    phone pictures 027.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 53

theresal

5 Year Member
Terrytown,LA
Your little red foot is beautiful! I agree with some of the others. Get at least 3. It seems to cut down on the bullying dynamic. Not that red foots are mean or bullies but they just get along more harmoniously with 3 or more. I have gotten 2 red foots that were only torts. These guys rammed the other torts and flipped the other larger torts 2-4 times their size at first until they got accustomed to living with the herd. All my 8 red foots outside get along very well together. You won't be able to stop at just 2 anyway. LOL

marine778

5 Year Member
Winter Springs, Florida
theresal said:
Your little red foot is beautiful! I agree with some of the others. Get at least 3. It seems to cut down on the bullying dynamic. Not that red foots are mean or bullies but they just get along more harmoniously with 3 or more. I have gotten 2 red foots that were only torts. These guys rammed the other torts and flipped the other larger torts 2-4 times their size at first until they got accustomed to living with the herd. All my 8 red foots outside get along very well together. You won't be able to stop at just 2 anyway. LOL

Oh boy, my parents are going to need some convincing to get me another few tortoises. :p

Well thanks for all the advice guys!

marine778

5 Year Member
Winter Springs, Florida
Just one more thing for you guys, if I do get a few more tortoises and buy 2 or 3 all in one batch they would be fine staying together while being quarantined from Herman, right?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
marine778 said:
Oh boy, my parents are going to need some convincing to get me another few tortoises. :p

The breeder that I received my reds from told me that taking care of multiple redfoots is not much more difficult than caring for just one. The only major requirement is having the space. I suppose that when they're older, cleaning up massive piles of poop from 3+ torts vs. 1 might suck more, though.

marine778

5 Year Member
Winter Springs, Florida
pfara said:
marine778 said:

The breeder that I received my reds from told me that taking care of multiple redfoots is not much more difficult than caring for just one. The only major requirement is having the space. I suppose that when they're older, cleaning up massive piles of poop from 3+ torts vs. 1 might suck more, though.

:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Marine:

You have to use your own judgement on whether or not to get more tortoises...your judgement and your folks's rules. We're not telling you to get more tortoises, we're telling you that they do better in groups of 3 or more rather than just two. If that doesn't work for you, then you can't get them until it works for you (and your mother).

And yes, if you get the other RFs from the same place, they can stay together for the quarantine period.

theresal

5 Year Member
Terrytown,LA
Sorry, I didn't realize I was influencing a minor. LOL You definitely have to do whatver the folks will allow. Otherwise, it may have been better to keep your tort as an only tort.

marine778

5 Year Member
Winter Springs, Florida
theresal said:
Sorry, I didn't realize I was influencing a minor. LOL You definitely have to do whatver the folks will allow. Otherwise, it may have been better to keep your tort as an only tort.

No worries, i'm just thinking about what I should ask for christmas.

And once again, thanks guys.

FeZZek

5 Year Member
Ormond Beach, Florida
I have 8 redfoots (and a random baby box turtle that now hangs around the habitat lol) .... provided you have the space, and the commitment (remember they have a long lifespan. Mine are literally willed to my kids) it's really is not much different than caring for 1 or 2. The social dynamic alone is worth having more than 1- Very different personalities! Stay ontop of cleanliness and health checks and you are good to go. Depending on your location winter housing needs to be a consideration but it sounds like you have a few years before you have to worry about that. Congrats on the new obsession! 1384995131365.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: