Getting ready for the snow

Careym13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
Still have electricity. Had to dig out of the driveway, drive 16 miles to my work to feed the animals, then drive back. Worst experience driving in snow...EVER. Major roads were all covered, visibility almost zero due to the heavy winds, people stuck in ditches, snow plows stuck in ditches...it was awful. We have at least 36" so far and it's not set to stop for another 10 hours. I live up on a hill so I barely got back in the driveway far enough to be off the road only to have my four wheel drive system quit on me. Hoping it just overheated cuz I have to repeat the process tomorrow. I think I'll take a nap soon.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
It began to snow :( here too, and the govt. has announced a state of alert.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Still have electricity. Had to dig out of the driveway, drive 16 miles to my work to feed the animals, then drive back. Worst experience driving in snow...EVER. Major roads were all covered, visibility almost zero due to the heavy winds, people stuck in ditches, snow plows stuck in ditches...it was awful. We have at least 36" so far and it's not set to stop for another 10 hours. I live up on a hill so I barely got back in the driveway far enough to be off the road only to have my four wheel drive system quit on me. Hoping it just overheated cuz I have to repeat the process tomorrow. I think I'll take a nap soon.
What a scary thing to do. In the UK our roads come to a standstill with just a few inches of snow - because we are never prepared for it. Take care!!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
You take care too Gillian.
Enforced confinement can't be pleasant.
Thanks a lot your advice Lyn. Appreciate it.:)

I'll do all I can to take care of :<3: OLI :<3: and myself till GOD knows when.:rolleyes:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks a lot your advice Lyn. Appreciate it.:)

I'll do all I can to take care of :<3: OLI :<3: and myself till GOD knows when.:rolleyes:
So if everyone has to stay indoors that must mean that the children don't have a chance to play in the snow. That's quite sad really, I have lovely memories of sledging, snowball and making snowmen when I was a child (and older!)
But I suppose if they don't have the emergency services to deal with accidents etc then keeping everyone indoors is a way to reduce the risks.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Just heard on the news they've banned travel in NY too, and anyone trying will be arrested. Sounds like Amman Gillian!

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
We have 36" plus in Pa and they are saying it will not let up till tomorrow. I am on my third round of snow removal on my drive way. I think I will go out and make a snow tortoise. LOL

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
That is one of the reasons I moved out of NY 20 years ago. Goddam snow!
Now we get ice storms in NC (ugh) Lucky I have a whole house generator in case the power does go out.
3-4 years I will likely retire and move further south. Anything below 50 is too cold for me.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
We have 36" plus in Pa and they are saying it will not let up till tomorrow. I am on my third round of snow removal on my drive way. I think I will go out and make a snow tortoise. LOL
A very BIG snow tortoise!!!
Tail end of your storm is due in the UK about Tues but no snow expected just strong winds and heavy rain

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Still have electricity. Had to dig out of the driveway, drive 16 miles to my work to feed the animals, then drive back. Worst experience driving in snow...EVER.

When I was the only employee at a vet clinic I would get an early morning call every time it snowed more than 6 inches from the vets telling me that they were snowed in because they lived 15 miles out of town in the hills. That's when I would get up, put on 11 layers of clothing and walk/snowshoe my butt the mile and a half to work because it was faster and safer than driving. Then I would spend the day calling and cancelling and moving appointments, playing with the animals, doing *some* work and drinking gallons of coffee on the clock. I loved those days.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
How are you all doing?
All OK I hope!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
We survived with about 30" plus inches and snow drifts as high as cars. But we are all good.
Glad to hear it! It looks incredible on the BBC news. They reckon its going to cost a total 1 billion pounds to sort it all out along east coast.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Glad to hear it! It looks incredible on the BBC news. They reckon its going to cost a total 1 billion pounds to sort it all out along east coast.
Yeah but an American billion is not the same as a English billion. ;)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yeah but an American billion is not the same as a English billion. ;)
Seriously though. Hope all are well.
I just seen a picture on the news, someone opened their door and there was an imprint of nearly the full door in snow. That's ridiculous.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Show us your snow pictures! (and your tortoise's crammed indoors for a sleepover). Glad you all seemed to fair alright.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Just heard on the news they've banned travel in NY too, and anyone trying will be arrested. Sounds like Amman Gillian!
Nice one Lyn!:D LOL! This post of yours really did make me laugh, although I'm in anything but in a good mood.:p