Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I run my whole house including the AC with a 10kw generator.
Hurricanes and all.
That is a pretty cool calculator.
For fine electronics you'll need a generator with a sine wave converter (spelling?)
Otherwise the power isn't very constant and has peaks and lows that can do damage to computers, etc.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Interesting the person talks about loss of power in Chicago. I have lost power for more then a couple hours once since I have lived hear. He'd have better luck if he lived in the better areas of the city LOL
We have a very small generator we bought that one time we lost power. If it were to happen again, the tort shed will get the generator and well, us humans will either get cold or go out and hunker down with the torts.
Always good to be prepared just incase

leoturt

Western Canada
Interesting the person talks about loss of power in Chicago. I have lost power for more then a couple hours once since I have lived hear. He'd have better luck if he lived in the better areas of the city LOL
We have a very small generator we bought that one time we lost power. If it were to happen again, the tort shed will get the generator and well, us humans will either get cold or go out and hunker down with the torts.
Always good to be prepared just incase
which generator are you using for your tort?
I'm looking for a small one that automatically turns on in a power outage, and only for my tort. but all of the ones I see are those big, pricey ones that you attach physically to your house or something.
Not sure if what I'm looking for even exists.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm looking for a small one that automatically turns on in a power outage, and only for my tort. but all of the ones I see are those big, pricey ones that you attach physically to your house or something.
I have no idea what the generator was. We actually just gave it away. Didn't even have torts when we did use it that one time.
The type of generator you are looking for doesn't exist, only the big whole house kind will do what you want.
If you know or higher an electrician, you might be able to get a smaller one to do what you want but unless you know an electrician friend, I'm sure that won't be cheap either.
You can have the smaller ones ride into your electric. When power goes out though, you have to go flip the main off and start the generator but no extension cords to run.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My area of town hardly ever has power outages, so I've never considered buying a generator, but last week the power was out from 7p (OH NO!!! I missed Jeopardy!) until just after midnight. My ice cream melted! Thankfully this happened during good weather. A power outage of that length would have been pretty bad for my outside animals if it happened in winter. Even so, it was mighty hot in here! My room was 89F and climbing. I went to bed early.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

A Westinghouse WGen and ST Switch should do what you want.

Oldbro

Chicago
We live in the NW Chicago suburbs and have lost power from minutes to over a week. Have had whole house systems for past 14 years, Partial units the prior 30+ years.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay. The one we had was 2200. Ran frig, tv, one light and the boiler. It should all you need if you don't want to run your house too.
However, think of it this way. If you lose power too long and don't have heat in your house, you will have to leave. Generators have to be filled with gas often. Our small one only ran 1 1/2 hours before needing gas. The larger ones approx. 5-8 hours depending on size. You won't be there to do that every couple hours. You would be better off getting a larger one that can do your house too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
With all kinds of storms, both summer and winter, that knock out power, it's good to be prepared if you are a keeper of reptiles that need warm temps!

Heres a good link http://www.powerequipmentdirect.com/stories/14-How-to-Save-Your-Fish-Tank-from-Power-Failure.html about how to determine wattage used by your heaters, CHEs, lights, etc in order to determine size of generator u might want on hand.

The referenced article talks about fish tanks,,, but, u get the idea!
Here is my take:
1. Go big! Whatever wattage you think you might need, you will need more, and you will find more uses for more electricity the longer the power is out.
2. Related to number one, my Honda generators have an "Eco Throttle" feature that allows them to run at lower rpm's when you are not using as much power. This saves tremendous amounts of fuel and I can get more than 24 hours from a single tank of gas in this mode. You can get a big honkin' gennie that can make some power, but run it in low mode to save fuel when you don't need as much power. This is better than having a small gennie, and then realizing you need much more power, right?
3. Related to the "sine wave generator" that ZP mentioned: The Hondas supposedly make "clean power" and are safer for use with electronics, so says my BIL who does all sorts of electrical work.

I just noticed the date on this thread after I typed all this...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Here is my take:
1. Go big! Whatever wattage you think you might need, you will need more, and you will find more uses for more electricity the longer the power is out.
2. Related to number one, my Honda generators have an "Eco Throttle" feature that allows them to run at lower rpm's when you are not using as much power. This saves tremendous amounts of fuel and I can get more than 24 hours from a single tank of gas in this mode. You can get a big honkin' gennie that can make some power, but run it in low mode to save fuel when you don't need as much power. This is better than having a small gennie, and then realizing you need much more power, right?
3. Related to the "sine wave generator" that ZP mentioned: The Hondas supposedly make "clean power" and are safer for use with electronics, so says my BIL who does all sorts of electrical work.

I just noticed the date on this thread after I typed all this...
Lol, i don't think any of us noticed the date. But another member brought it back to life asking about a smaller gen.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Well guys, now that you've brought it up from the depths......whatever you do, DO NOT USE A DRYER PLUG.....to connect said generator!

So many guys I know go out and get some really decent equipment, then shortcut the install. GET A TRANSFER SWITCH.....whether you choose manual or auto is up to your risk tolerance and wallet but don't put our power guys at risk cause you cheaped out! Everyone thinks they will remember to shut the main, but we're human. Manage your own faults, put in the switch! LOL

I never even realized that for you guys that live in colder areas, you really do need some type of back-up system!

I assume that you are thinking suitcase size that will sense power loss and turn on to accept the load.....It doesn't, my friend......but there's a ton of new stuff coming out.....folks had a lot of time to think and engineer during covid!

leoturt

Western Canada
Lol, i don't think any of us noticed the date. But another member brought it back to life asking about a smaller gen.
lol yeah i bought it back from the dead..almost 6 years old and now its filled with new posts. I knew the date of the last post was like 6 years ago before I posted, but I looked at that member's page to see if they're still active, and they are so I went ahead posting expecting a reply.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well guys, now that you've brought it up from the depths......whatever you do, DO NOT USE A DRYER PLUG.....to connect said generator!

So many guys I know go out and get some really decent equipment, then shortcut the install. GET A TRANSFER SWITCH.....whether you choose manual or auto is up to your risk tolerance and wallet but don't put our power guys at risk cause you cheaped out! Everyone thinks they will remember to shut the main, but we're human. Manage your own faults, put in the switch! LOL

I never even realized that for you guys that live in colder areas, you really do need some type of back-up system!

I assume that you are thinking suitcase size that will sense power loss and turn on to accept the load.....It doesn't, my friend......but there's a ton of new stuff coming out.....folks had a lot of time to think and engineer during covid!
You mean a "suicide" plug? :)