Getting ready for the snow

Careym13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
In my area, 30 miles west of DC, they are projecting between 30"-50" of snow this weekend. I went out today and bought a generator. It was lots of fun (sarcasm) considering I know nothing about them. Anyway, I'm going to the store tonight to stock up on greens for tortoise food plus I have lots of cactus chips (thanks Will) and herbal tortoise hay (thanks Tyler). I should have enough juice from the generator after space heaters are plugged in to run two CHE's for the tortoises and maybe their power sun bulb. I live kinda in the country and my power lines are above ground and surrounded by a bunch of creepy, unstable, dead-ish trees so I'm thinking my chances of losing power are pretty high. Gotta keep my parrots warm and of course the torts. I'll probably end up sleeping on the floor amongst all the bird cages since that is where the heat will be. Wish me luck!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
In my area, 30 miles west of DC, they are projecting between 30"-50" of snow this weekend. I went out today and bought a generator. It was lots of fun (sarcasm) considering I know nothing about them. Anyway, I'm going to the store tonight to stock up on greens for tortoise food plus I have lots of cactus chips (thanks Will) and herbal tortoise hay (thanks Tyler). I should have enough juice from the generator after space heaters are plugged in to run two CHE's for the tortoises and maybe their power sun bulb. I live kinda in the country and my power lines are above ground and surrounded by a bunch of creepy, unstable, dead-ish trees so I'm thinking my chances of losing power are pretty high. Gotta keep my parrots warm and of course the torts. I'll probably end up sleeping on the floor amongst all the bird cages since that is where the heat will be. Wish me luck!
Good luck. Sounds like a good night that, sleeping amongst the animals you love.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Good luck. Sure hope your weathermen are wrong, like they usually are and it misses you. Let us know how it's going. Stay safe and warm

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Good luck!:)

A snowstorm is expected here in Jordan this coming Saturday. :( It's worrying me like mad, particularly as far as Oli :<3: is concerned.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
We also have snow and ice at Cologne... I always have to go outside and "clean" my ponds from the ice because if the sleeping turtles... Hats and cold job..

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
is

A pic of the last snowstorm here, in JAN 2015.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
How much snow are you expecting?
Frankly speaking I have no clue. But it seems to be quite a lot, as we have been advised to make sure that we have bread, food, coffee and the rest in case we cannot move.

Prairie Mom

I'm wishing you well and warmth too, Carey! Also, I would get some handwarmers too just in case the power does go out on your cold-blooded beasties. If you're town is running out of them, post and I bet members along with myself would happily send you some in a pinch!

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I'm wishing you well and warmth too, Carey! Also, I would get some handwarmers too just in case the power does go out on your cold-blooded beasties. If you're town is running out of them, post and I bet members along with myself would happily send you some in a pinch!
I will do that, thank you!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
We live quite rural too in an area that isn't used to snow. We have the same sketchy power lines with scary trees dangling over them. Lucky for us we have a standing invitation by a friend up the road who has a wood stove and is critter friendly. At least the power goes out on a consistent basis (aka we can tell when it's likely to go) so we turn the heat up and hunker down. Our policy is that when the tort tanks dip to 65 we are hopping in the car, bring our best bottle of wine, some board games and visiting friends.

We just got approved to buy a house though and it has great chimneys so I see a wood stove or two in my future.