good growth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
These first two pictures were taken on March 29th - the second two pictures were taken on April 24th. Just wondering if this seems like good growth? (sorry the pictures are so big. not sure how to reduce them.)

I feed spring mix, mustard greens and collard greens, although my sullie doesn't seem to like the mustard or collard greens, but i mix a little in with the spring mix throughout the week. i add calcium/d3 a couple times a week to his feed, although i'm noticing that when it's added he seems to eat less. i just added a cuttlebone this week, but he hasn't touched it yet that i've noticed. i also add mazuri to his feed at least once a week. on weeks i notice that he's not eating as good, i add just a little bit to his feed more often. maybe it's just me but it seems like if i have the mazuri in it, he runs to the bowl, but if it's not he won't. have been wondering if it's the smell of the mazuri that attracts him at first. it's almost like he can tell as soon as i put the bowl in his enclosure, even if he can't see what's in the bowl yet.
100_3797.jpg
[/img]
100_3794.jpg
[/img]
100_3846.jpg
[/img]
100_3848.jpg
[/img]

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Very nice growth. As far as I can tell from the pictures the shell looks smooth. The weight gain is pretty good too. My tortoise goes for the Mazuri like yours. Some days that is all he seems interested in. On other days he is not so interested in Mazuri and prefers cactus and greens. I just have to guess which he is the most interested in on any given day. He hasn't got me completely trained yet.

Once they get to the weight that yours is now they seem to really begin to grow. Mine went from 126 grams to 450 grams in about 4 months. It's a challenge to stay ahead of his growth with environmental and diet needs.

richellesworld

5 Year Member
Gulf Coast - Texas
marcy4hope said:
These first two pictures were taken on March 29th - the second two pictures were taken on April 24th. Just wondering if this seems like good growth? (sorry the pictures are so big. not sure how to reduce them.)

I feed spring mix, mustard greens and collard greens, although my sullie doesn't seem to like the mustard or collard greens, but i mix a little in with the spring mix throughout the week. i add calcium/d3 a couple times a week to his feed, although i'm noticing that when it's added he seems to eat less. i just added a cuttlebone this week, but he hasn't touched it yet that i've noticed. i also add mazuri to his feed at least once a week. on weeks i notice that he's not eating as good, i add just a little bit to his feed more often. maybe it's just me but it seems like if i have the mazuri in it, he runs to the bowl, but if it's not he won't. have been wondering if it's the smell of the mazuri that attracts him at first. it's almost like he can tell as soon as i put the bowl in his enclosure, even if he can't see what's in the bowl yet.
100_3797.jpg
[/img]
100_3794.jpg
[/img]
100_3846.jpg
[/img]
100_3848.jpg
[/img]

First off, cute tortoise! I think the shell looks smooth and your tortoise looks healthy too. Also, where did you get that digital scale?

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
richellesworld said:
First off, cute tortoise! I think the shell looks smooth and your tortoise looks healthy too. Also, where did you get that digital scale?

thanks. i bought the scale from amazon. can't remember the name of it, but i just checked out what was available on amazon and bought it.

Nicaver

5 Year Member
What is Mazuri? I need to try that

Oh and where can I buy? my Tort is so picky trying to find something yummy!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He looks great!

He really needs a better diet though. Those few items are all okay as part of a varied diet, but not as THE diet. They need grass and weeds and leaves too. I think you either need to start scrounging or growing some new stuff. I've got all sorts of ideas if you want to hear it.

They can definitely smell Mazuri a mile away! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nicaver said:
What is Mazuri? I need to try that

Oh and where can I buy? my Tort is so picky trying to find something yummy!

You can get it from different places on the net. You can even buy it from the company. Tortoise supply I believe carries it also.

Beautiful sully. Check out thetortoisetable.org for more plant food ideas. Even easier send Tom a pm and ask him for his ideas. Some I can tell you are, roses, rose of Sharon, hibicus, spineless optunia cactus pads, mulberry leaf, dandelion, clover, grasses and hays.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
One easy thing to do for those people who rely heavily on grocery store foods is to get a product called "Salad Style". Basically it is finely chopped up timothy hay and bermuda grass hay. You just sprinkle some on top of the grocery store greens and WHAMMO! Instant dietary improvement. :D

I got my bag of Salad Style from Tyler at http://tortoisesupply.com/
Its pretty cheap, lasts a long time for one small tortoise and just makes it very convenient to give a small sulcata a better diet.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
actually this was an old thread that just got bumped because someone asked me about the scale i was using. i'm not having any problems with growth. this is his more current size:
100_4084-1.jpg

100_4085.jpg

thanks for the suggestions, i will check into them.

Status
Not open for further replies.