Got An Extra 1K Laying Around?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Wayfair.com has a pretty nice-looking raised bed for sale. With a little bit of modification, it can also be used for a shelter for an on-the-ground tortoise:

https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp...dar-raised-garden-xql1109.html?source=gateway

8+ft+x+8+ft+Western+Red+Cedar+Raised+Garden.jpg

8+ft+x+8+ft+Western+Red+Cedar+Raised+Garden.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know, huh? I'd love to have something like that for smaller tortoises (in the bed part). The interior sides can be raised so they can't climb out.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I've always thought that would make a nice enclosure. I don't remember seeing the price that high though. I'm sure it could be made a lot cheaper.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

Melis

Maryland
61132537-2571-4F10-B02A-0868056DB317.png I clicked on that first link from minority because I thought this was a really neat idea. Maybe so cheap because the lumber isn’t included. Lol

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
View attachment 249728 I clicked on that first link from minority because I thought this was a really neat idea. Maybe so cheap because the lumber isn’t included. Lol

I noticed that yes. The entire kit including lumber is still priced a bit high. Building a similar structure with durable, cheaper materials and larger sections, not factoring in sizes for shipping would cost much cheaper. Labor is still going to be taxing no doubt about that. Though I would say building a customized version that caters to the owner's ideal specifications and convenience would definitely be worth it.