Greek problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekltestevez

5 Year Member
Well Shady is a little under 4 1/2 in. and Lily is a little ver 6 in.
In my original post I wanted to know about their feeding. What do you think?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Cassie: If your outdoor pen is large enough, and you make quite a few sight barriers and many hiding places, you MIGHT be able to keep them both in the same outdoor pen. But indoors, you're right...separate habitats.

Yvonne

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Yvonne, you beat me to it! Its not just about the hides, its also about sight barriers. If they can graze separately and not see each other, its like having a bigger enclosure!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
You are feeding a good variety. What might make things easier on you, is to by prepacked spring mix (no spinach though--spinach binds calcium). I get mine at walmart, its organic and pretty cheap for a big package of it. Lemme see what brand it is...

I feed that as a staple, and buy other things to mix in occasionally. Like extra radicchio (they love it) romaine, like once ever 3 weeks or so for sustained hydration (there is a higher water content in it. Its not good to feed all the time, buts it has value when fed occasionally). I also offer red bell pepper, yellow squash, zucchini, and butter nut squash about once every two weeks for a day or so. (along with the regular portion of spring mix) I also feed Mazuri once and while too. My hatchling loves it. Nigel, my adult male, is not too keen on it.

The brand I use is EarthBound Farms organic. The container is made from recycled plastic bottles even. :) they have a site, if you google them....

In my experience, they won't touch the hay. I am not sure about the grass. The broadleaf weeds are a good idea. Dandelion is a favorite, but don't feed too much too often. It can give them stones...kidney I think.

ekltestevez

5 Year Member
I'll have to try that menu too...lol! I did't know what veggies they could have or how often.
How big does this outdoor enclosure need to be exactly?
Here's a pic of their table the bottom I'll turn into another table.
Tortoise condo lol!

Attachments

• tort table.jpg
    tort table.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 19
S

stells

They do all grow at different rates just as we do... i have two Ibera siblings... 3 years old... there is a big difference between them... Petunia just grew and grew and grew... putting on alot of weight each month.... both have been fed exactly the same diet... and have been seperate for 18 months now... with that i'm all for them being seperated... i'm not by any means saying keep them together... i wouldn't have my two together now until Pansy is around the same size but still have the big size difference...

A few pics...
tortoises058.jpg

tortoises056.jpg

tortoises057.jpg

If Lily is 6 inches then she is a female... as is Shady.... her tail is far to small for a 6 inch male...

Here is Dandelion... 5 inch male... Ibera
tortoises603.jpg

Petunia... 4.5 inch female.... Ibera
tortoises602.jpg

ekltestevez

5 Year Member
stells said:
They do all grow at different rates just as we do... i have two Ibera siblings... 3 years old... there is a big difference between them... Petunia just grew and grew and grew... putting on alot of weight each month.... both have been fed exactly the same diet... and have been seperate for 18 months now... with that i'm all for them being seperated... i'm not by any means saying keep them together... i wouldn't have my two together now until Pansy is around the same size but still have the big size difference...

A few pics...
tortoises058.jpg

tortoises056.jpg

tortoises057.jpg

If Lily is 6 inches then she is a female... as is Shady.... her tail is far to small for a 6 inch male...

Here is Dandelion... 5 inch male... Ibera
tortoises603.jpg

Petunia... 4.5 inch female.... Ibera
tortoises602.jpg
Thanks for the info Kelly . I agree that they are female, Lily and Shady's tale's look the same to me....just different sizes.
Lily definatly doesn't look like Dandelion even when I pull her tail out.
Thanks again
Cassie

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I agree with Kelly :D They are both females. :)

I'm going to agree too with keeping them seperate until Shady catches up a bit to Lily. They are though not that far off and like Kelly's 2 it could be genetics that is causing one to grow more than the other.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.