Greek tortoise swollen eyelids

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Thanks a lot! Its very helpful.
I will then talk to our vet one more time about those injections and see what he says.
Yeah try not to let them convince you the vitamin injections are necessary, they can honestly do more harm than good, vets very rarely understand that and how to appropriately treat tortoises, it can be tricky finding a good vet for them😣

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
In your guys case if there is indeed a deficiency, they might not hurt but I’m thinking further tests might need to be ran… either way improved diet and husbandry will hopefully get them on the mend, wishing you all the best🥰

magdalenazbinden

switzerland
In your guys case if there is indeed a deficiency, they might not hurt but I’m thinking further tests might need to be ran… either way improved diet and husbandry will hopefully get them on the mend, wishing you all the best🥰
Thank you :) Im glad the injection we gave him (one) was only half of what could be given and we made it even less (we do it ourselves at home). I know that deficiency is possible in our case because of his poor diet for all those years but i might have read a bit too much online about possible and extreme side effects in case there is an overdose. The vet did say its usually the turtles to suffer from it but it is possible Frankling has it too. Anyway, in the meantime i will find a new terrarium for him. Thanks a lot :)

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank you :) Im glad the injection we gave him (one) was only half of what could be given and we made it even less (we do it ourselves at home). I know that deficiency is possible in our case because of his poor diet for all those years but i might have read a bit too much online about possible and extreme side effects in case there is an overdose. The vet did say its usually the turtles to suffer from it but it is possible Frankling has it too. Anyway, in the meantime i will find a new terrarium for him. Thanks a lot :)
Your vet is right - turtles often get it because their captive diet often lacks vitamin A. Tortoises eat mostly greens which are high in vitamin A, so deficiency is very rare.

You can post here what terrarium you want to buy for him. We can tell if it's a good choice. Same for substrates, lightning, grocery greens and such.

magdalenazbinden

switzerland
Your vet is right - turtles often get it because their captive diet often lacks vitamin A. Tortoises eat mostly greens which are high in vitamin A, so deficiency is very rare.

You can post here what terrarium you want to buy for him. We can tell if it's a good choice. Same for substrates, lightning, grocery greens and such.
Thank you.
To start with terrariun: unfortunately where I live there are not many options to choose from. The best I could find is the one below. Its big and I could set up a lamp nicely from above.

1721905900550.png

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you.
To start with terrariun: unfortunately where I live there are not many options to choose from. The best I could find is the one below. Its big and I could set up a lamp nicely from above.

View attachment 375413
Its a good design. but much too small. You'd need four of them. Most people build their own because there is nothing available yo buy. you need a minimum of 244x122cm. You can get a sheet of ply wood, add sides and legs, hang your light fixtures, add the substrate and furniture, and you are good to go.

Alternatively, you might be able to find two raised garden beds that are each 122x122cm, or maybe you can find a bigger one?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I agree that it’s too small for an adult like yours, funnily enough though making your own will likely work out bigger and cheaper!🙂

magdalenazbinden

switzerland
I agree that it’s too small for an adult like yours, funnily enough though making your own will likely work out bigger and cheaper!🙂
Yes! Till we build a new one we decided to take the wooden frame of what he has outside in the garden and start with it. For now it will be 1,3 m x 1,1 m but i guess its way better than the 'terrarium' he has now. And the one we want to make will be even bigger as suggested. Im also going to another vet tomorrow for a second opinion on those injections and to ask for a blood test.