Grotle Walks Weirdly

mselayan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UAE
Hi all!

I've had Grotle for 8 months now. He is one lovely and energetic young Greek tortoise. Recently, I brought another Greek tortoise that looks exactly like Grotle and is about the same age (2 to 3 years). What I notice is that there's a clear difference in the way the 2 tortoises walk. The new tortoise can walk with its shell clear off the ground (when walking on a hard surface) and has the ability to climb short barriers (up to 5 cm). Contrary to that, Grotle has a difficulty walking on hard smooth surfaces and he creeps rather than walks. He can't seem to climb anything higher than what is perceived as a stair step for him.
I remember when I got Grotle first he was able to walk a little better than that (but definitely not as good as the new tortoise). I couldn't realize the existence of the problem until I saw the difference.

For what it's worth Grotle eats, drinks and moves in a very normal manner. He is kept in a spacious enough enclosure with Meadow Hay as a substrate.

My suspicion is that using hay as a substrate, which appears to be extremely easy to walk on, affected its ability to walk on hard surfaces.

Any explanations?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is Grotle getting enough calcium-rich foods...or any calcium supplement?

mselayan

5 Year Member
UAE
Yeah he has a cuttle bone in his enclosure which he bites on from time to time. I also spread Calcium Carbonate powder on his food every week.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
What about your UV? Does your tort have a new bulb or get sunlight?

mselayan

5 Year Member
UAE
Grotle 's enclosure is placed right beside an open window, which means sunlight is available all day long. It's pretty sunny over here but he prefers to burrow through the hay and get out for food and a little walk every hour.

As I told you he's pretty energetic and moves a lot. It's the way he walks that doesn't help him to move well on smooth hard surfaces (the position and orientation of legs while moving).

Anyway, I'll purchase a UVB lamp tomorrow because I started doubting he gets enough UVB this way. How many hours a day should I keep the lamp on?

Dorrie Siu

I could be wrong but I think I heard that glass does hinder the goodness of UVB.

happyjoyjoy

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
100% of uv rays cannot pass through glass this is fact.

leave on 12 hours just like other lights..... def go with a powersun (mercury vapor bulb) or a reptisun 10.0 (no coil). Outside time everyday is best.

Goodluck!

mselayan

5 Year Member
UAE
Thanks for your help and advice.

I'm sorry I believe I did not make it clear regarding the window. Grotle's enclosure is located beside an open window (only mesh), which means he gets direct sunlight. But since it's getting hot here, I will soon be no longer able to leave the window open. I will purchase a UV lamp as soon as possible. In case that was the problem, will the new conditions have any tangible improvement on his motion?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yes, there will be marked improvement with the exposure to the proper uv rays...so, I don't know if the Mesh you refer to is the normal window screen--if yes, this also blocks out a significant amount of the beneficial uv rays...not all, but enough that the tort will likely appreciate the additional artificial uv bulb rays....and if it is getting warmer/sunny out that will also then allow you the opportunity to allow him to be outdoors in safe secure supervised space...awesome...

mselayan

5 Year Member
UAE
Thanks for the relieving info. I already purchased a 20W - 5% UV-B lamp so the exposure to UV-B is guaranteed. This will be accompanied with 2 days a week of full day sunlight exposure, given that keeping the window open everyday is difficult. The lamp is placed within 40 cm (about 16 in.) from the tortoises (please correct me).