Growing Cactus Pads

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn, New York
CacPads.JPG

I started these pads around the beginning of the year. Note that I waited a week of so for the cut edge to dry and then started to lightly water. This is the way I grow cactus pads in my area...

~C

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is pretty common for the parts of the pad touching the ground to start to rot if people water too early or too much. I've had this happen. It seems to be working fine for you, but I thought it would be good to mention to the masses, that they generally should not be watered for about a month after planting, depending on your climate. A month works for my area with very low humidity. One could probably go longer in areas with higher humidity.

Vickie

5 Year Member
Wow good job! I just ordered some and praying I have the same success. :)

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Tom said:
It is pretty common for the parts of the pad touching the ground to start to rot if people water too early or too much. I've had this happen. It seems to be working fine for you, but I thought it would be good to mention to the masses, that they generally should not be watered for about a month after planting, depending on your climate. A month works for my area with very low humidity. One could probably go longer in areas with higher humidity.

If the bottom pad starts to rot, you can just cut off the soft (rot) area, let the pad dry and repot.

Status
Not open for further replies.