1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Growing grass

Discussion in 'Tortoise Diet and Food' started by Hugo's Home, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Hugo's Home

Hugo's Home Active Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Sierra vista, arizona
    Well thought I should share my new experiment for growing grass indoors during the winter. I'll keep posting as time goes on.

First things first. Started by using Vigoro grass seed fast growing mix found at HD. 20180212_153952.jpg

I decided to use three methods.

1. No soil. Just a reusable paper towel and some baking pans. I fit the paper towel on the bottom of the baking pan. Sprayed the paper towel with water, spread the seeds evenly and sprayed them again with water. Put a baking pan over the seeds to block the light. Misted with water every 12 hrs or so. Day 1

2. Soil method, not really soil but coco coir and about 2 hand fulls of worm castings on the bottem of a baking pan about 1/2 inch thick.

Right side of the pan, i soaked the seeds for three days, rinsing the seeds gently once a day. Spread the seeds. These are on day three now but day one for the pan.

Left side of the pan, I put the seeds on dry and misted the seeds. I then covered the pan like the other method. This is on day one.

So this went on for another three days misting every 12hrs or so. No light.

Ok so now were at
    6 days for the paper towel.
    6 days for the dry seeds on soil.
    9 days for the soaked seeds and soil.

Check out the results.
    Paper towel
    20180212_153229.jpg

Soil
    Right is soaked, left is dry

20180212_153233.jpg

Today day 6 ,when I got home I am exposing them to light for the first time since the sprouts look ready now mostly..
    Lighting is Regular T8 fixtures with 6500k bulbs.

Now I am going to keep growing them and see how they do.

Also my pasture mix that @Tom suggested will be here Thursday!! I can't wait to try that the same way and see how it does! Thank you tom for that!

Starting wheatgrass too with and without soil and they seem pretty even right now.

Thanks!
  2. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

Southern California
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Read the package of the HD seeds very carefully. The grass seed sold there usually has additives in it. They don't think people are growing it for food. They think people are growing it for a pretty lawn that will be free of weeds, bugs and brown spots. They do some weird stuff to the seeds for lawn grass.

Personally, I would not feed it to my tortoises.
    Hjdinfl and Hugo's Home like this.
  3. Hugo's Home

Sierra vista, arizona
    The package did not seem to have any additives from what I saw. Even the seeds looked raw. Exactly the same quality as other pasture rye grasses I've used for our cows and for Inside higos enclosure. But yeah looking around hd there is defiantly grass seed that has additives though! So be careful! Also this is just a test before the good stuff you suggested comes in so I won't have to waste any seed.

Good point though be careful what you buy!
  4. Iochroma

Iochroma Well-Known Member

San Francisco
    Most commercial lawn grass seed is treated/coated.
    Why not just use organically grown wheat as your "grass" seed?
    Hugo's Home likes this.
  5. Hugo's Home

Sierra vista, arizona
    I am also growing organic wheatgrass now. Just moved it under the lights this morning! Just wanted to see what and how i could grow different types of grass indoors.

I guess this is just showing everyone how growing it in "soil" vs without regardless of the seed used.

So far all the grass in soil is growing better so looks like ill be using that method.. i believe its do to the moisture levels. Growing it without soil seems to need misting every like 4 hrs here. Humidity just sucks in the desert. So with my schedule that doesnt reay work.

I also have the pasture mix growing also. Just starting to sprout!
  6. Hugo's Home

Sierra vista, arizona
    New update
    All the methods growing on a paper towel have fallen behind.. soil looks like the best option. Had to throw out the first one done on a paper towel.

Organic wheat grass grown on soil and paper towel started at the same time.
    20180220_180432.jpg
    Left is wheat grass right is the pasture mix tom recommends grown on a paper towel. 20180220_180508.jpg

Original virogro planted in soil. Looks great!
    20180220_180422.jpg

New pasture mix growing in soil. Looks great also! Hugos gonna be so happy!
    20180220_180454.jpg
    RosemaryDW and TechnoCheese like this.
  7. Hugo's Home

Sierra vista, arizona
    Tom's recommended pasture mix from grow organic. Growing the best! Great quality I would have to say. About two weeks total time now growing this one. 20180306_165223.jpg
    vladimir and Tom like this.
  8. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

Southern California
    Man it is time to harvest! I'd be cutting the heck out of all of that and feeding it to my tortoises!

That is exactly the type of tender young grass I like to start hatchlings on. I chop it up with scissors and mix it in with other stuff.
    vladimir likes this.