growth comparison pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

5 Year Member
The tortoise closest to you is the tortoise on the left in the second pic.
350ncc1.jpg

my how things change
20axbvo.jpg

both have lived together under the excact same conditions since early october when I got them, the larger is 205 grams the other is 64

m7gd93.jpg

2wn8bk4.jpg

:):):):cool:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Might the fellow on the left be part or full GPP?

I'm still partial to the little black one. I see some mottling coming in on the new growth. I was hoping it would stay black.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
I think at one time I pegged that big one as a hybrid, but I think its time for a reassessment.

M

Maggie Cummings

I say that the big one is a bully and is bullying the smaller one and the growth has nothing to do with species. The little one is being bullied and they should be separated in my opinion...and I bet if you did separate them their growth would even out in a few months and they would be almost the same size...

John

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
I say that the big one is a bully and is bullying the smaller one and the growth has nothing to do with species. The little one is being bullied and they should be separated in my opinion...and I bet if you did separate them their growth would even out in a few months and they would be almost the same size...

I say you are dead wrong, the only bullying that goes on is the smallest one(not pictured) bullying the largest.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
g.p.babcocki are the largest Leopard tortoise. As far as significant size difference between them.... not much. Beyond that short answer it gets a bit tricky.

GeoTerraTestudo said:
Is there supposed to be a significant difference in size between G. pardalis pardalis and G. pardalis babcocki?

John

5 Year Member
Here's what Vetter has to say about it "In Stigmochelys pardalis babcocki especially there is a wide spectrum of average and maximum sizes, colorations, and color patterns within its distribution range. Specimens from some regions (e.g. Djibouti,somalia,south africa, i.e., from the northern and southernmost ends of the range) may, for example, be up to 300% larger than those of the same age from other regions".

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
John, what about the light colored one in the first pic. Do you still have that one and how does the size compare with the two darker ones?

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Yo John

The big pile-o-mess that you have in the first picture, is that just Mazuri and Cactus?

John

5 Year Member
DesertGrandma said:
John, what about the light colored one in the first pic. Do you still have that one and how does the size compare with the two darker ones?

Nah the light one kicked the bucket about a month ago.

FernandoM said:
Yo John

The big pile-o-mess that you have in the first picture, is that just Mazuri and Cactus?

Yeak its a mix of mazuri and cactus.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I'm also still liking the one on the right. I can believe your smallest one is the bully, takes after his padre.

dav3

5 Year Member
Scotland
maggie3fan said:
torts grow at different rate,"bully" lol more like alfa male

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
My pardalis are growing nearly 4x as fast as the babcocks, I'll bet you $1.99 that it's a subspecies thing.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
DUH :p. Did you even have to write it. :) Apparently so....(roll eyes)

Neal said:
My pardalis are growing nearly 4x as fast as the babcocks, I'll bet you $1.99 that it's a subspecies thing.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Wait...here it is. These two hatchlings just hatched 2 days ago and have been in the incubator absorbing yolk sacks. I took them out today to soak them for the first time when I noticed their extreme size difference and thought, that big one must be Bullying that little one. Learn something everyday. :)
Picture099.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.