• Metal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wood

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

TKoz

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
My wife and I have a 4 year old, about 45lbs Sulcata named Mikey. We live in southern Arizona. We want to either buy or build a house/shed for him for the winter time. He currently has the entire backyard for roaming around. We had a previous plastic shed last year, but it recently burned down.
Should we do a wooden or metal shed?
Anyone have step by step guides on building a house/shed for him? Pictures/videos would be excellent. We are looking to do something around 4”x4”x6” (smallest size we consider) or bigger. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Look for Toms night box threads. That's what you need. Made from wood, insulated and heat ready for those few cold nights you have.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My wife and I have a 4 year old, about 45lbs Sulcata named Mikey. We live in southern Arizona. We want to either buy or build a house/shed for him for the winter time. He currently has the entire backyard for roaming around. We had a previous plastic shed last year, but it recently burned down.
Should we do a wooden or metal shed?
Anyone have step by step guides on building a house/shed for him? Pictures/videos would be excellent. We are looking to do something around 4”x4”x6” (smallest size we consider) or bigger. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
You should encourage the tortoise to dig and use a burrow from about June through October. Then in fall, block off the burrow entrance with a sheet of plywood, and make the tortoise start using its heated shelter for the cooler months.

Here is the requested info:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Updated size: 4ft x 6ft x 6ft. Would be the smallest size we’d consider.
It makes no sense to build a 72 inch tall structure to heat to 80 degrees on a 30 degree night when the tortoise only occupies the bottom 16 inches. You can do it, but you will spend exponentially more trying to keep the floor warm enough while all the heat is rising into your tall ceiling.

TKoz

Tucson, AZ
It makes no sense to build a 72 inch tall structure to heat to 80 degrees on a 30 degree night when the tortoise only occupies the bottom 16 inches. You can do it, but you will spend exponentially more trying to keep the floor warm enough while all the heat is rising into your tall ceiling.
Yeah that makes sense. Just want something I can easily get into. So maybe like 36-48 inches tall

TKoz

Tucson, AZ
It will be a structure he can get in anytime of the day, any time of the year. Will only have the heat sources on during the colder months.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah that makes sense. Just want something I can easily get into. So maybe like 36-48 inches tall
One of our moderators, @Yvonne G , also prefers this style. She claims to not be a spring chicken anymore, and she doesn't like having to bend down or lift a heavy lid, so her sulcata house is an insulated shed. It works for her.

I found it very difficult to get enough heat down low in a taller structure and I was spending a fortune in electricity trying to do it. That is one of the many things that led to the various iterations of the threads on my night boxes that I linked for you.

My 4x4 and 4x8 sulcata boxes are only 21 inches tall inside, and the hinged lids are very easy to lift up and open for cleaning. I just use a rake or flat head shovel while standing in or next to the boxes. Easy peasy.

TKoz

Tucson, AZ
One of our moderators, @Yvonne G , also prefers this style. She claims to not be a spring chicken anymore, and she doesn't like having to bend down or lift a heavy lid, so her sulcata house is an insulated shed. It works for her.

I found it very difficult to get enough heat down low in a taller structure and I was spending a fortune in electricity trying to do it. That is one of the many things that led to the various iterations of the threads on my night boxes that I linked for you.

My 4x4 and 4x8 sulcata boxes are only 21 inches tall inside, and the hinged lids are very easy to lift up and open for cleaning. I just use a rake or flat head shovel while standing in or next to the boxes. Easy peasy.
Awesome! Thanks Tom! Appreciate all the info. I’m def not trying to spend alot on electricity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Awesome! Thanks Tom! Appreciate all the info. I’m def not trying to spend alot on electricity.
Questions are welcome, and please post pics of the build. We all learn new things and get ideas from what other people come up with.