Gulf coast box turtle

Mumsy

Location (City and/or State)
Sarnia Ontario
Hello,
I am awaiting the arrival of 2 jeuvenile Gulf Coast box turtles. I have had a 3 toed box Turtle before and am wonder how the care and diet differs for this species
Thanks in advance

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Hello,
I am awaiting the arrival of 2 jeuvenile Gulf Coast box turtles. I have had a 3 toed box Turtle before and am wonder how the care and diet differs for this species
Thanks in advance
Essentially the same omnivore diet. The gulf coast is just more aquatic.

Mumsy

Sarnia Ontario
Thank you. I want to build and outdoor enclosure for the warmer months but I'm terrified of them digging. What would be a good material for the bottom? Would chicken wire hurth them? Would they be able to dig through a pond liner?

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Thank you. I want to build and outdoor enclosure for the warmer months but I'm terrified of them digging. What would be a good material for the bottom? Would chicken wire hurth them? Would they be able to dig through a pond liner?
I wouldn't worry much about them burrowing out. They dig, but not elaborate tunnels like a sulcata or a russian tortoise.

Just make sure you have posts in the ground at least 2 ft as they may try to dig under the fence in the sides. They won't harm a pond liner.

You can burry boards 2ft underground, cover them, and buid the fence on top. They also need areas to retreat out of the sun.

Mumsy

Sarnia Ontario
I wouldn't worry much about them burrowing out. They dig, but not elaborate tunnels like a sulcata or a russian tortoise.

Just make sure you have posts in the ground at least 2 ft as they may try to dig under the fence in the sides. They won't harm a pond liner.

You can burry boards 2ft underground, cover them, and buid the fence on top. They also need areas to retreat out of the sun.
Thank you so much