Gupta's New Tortoise Paradise

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Me and my dad have been working on this enclosure for almost two weeks and now it is finally done! I call it Gupta's Tortoise Paradise lol Its a mansion compared to little Gupta
I have a step by step of how we built it ! :)
All of the lumber !
IMG_4439.JPG
The bottom with the sides attached.
IMG_4442.JPG
The frame put on the inside
IMG_4447.JPG
The frame all caulked up for ultra water sealing
IMG_4451.JPG
Now for the real deal! Roll on truck bed liner! Ultra tough, Ultra waterproof, pretty much indestructible. :) forever long lasting cage
IMG_4476.JPG
Rolled on
IMG_4479.JPG
IMG_4480.JPG
Now A picture of the lights, I used ceramic ceiling lamp-holders wired to a lamp cord to get this effect. Thats a exo terra 10.0 UVB bulb mounted in a cheap 10 dollar light fixture I bought at Walmart. The ceramic fixtures were around 3$ a piece and the lamp cords around 4$. So very cheap way to go and very easy. I hate messing with those dome fixtures lol
IMG_4533.JPG
No for pictures of the bottom put in my room with Gupta in it , top isn't on yet. I made door frames that lift up and down and the front is cut at a 45 degree angle so without have to bend completely over you can see all the way back into the cage for the same amount of walking space for Gupta
IMG_4536.JPG
A side view
IMG_4541.JPG
Now for the end result!! I nailed plastic over the doors for now until I can afford real glass or plexi glass.
It works to keep the humidity in
I am running a humidifier because its the only way I can keep that big of a cage humid enough without killing myself using a squirt bottle.
IMG_4548.JPG

so thats my cage for now, I have a lot of improvement I want to make.
I have the lid just screwed on for now which will change. I am going to cut it in half and make it to where the back half hinges up so I can reach back there easier.
I have it on two cheap coffee tables I bought from Walmart right now, but I am soon going to start a project of a building it its on stand much higher up so I don't have to sit on the ground to play with Gupta.
Not only that but the frame will also have another cage just like Gupta's below it so that I will have two 4 by 6 tortoise tables only taking up one 4 by 6 space in my room. One cage will by at standing level in the frame and the other at sitting with just enough space in between to lift up the back half of the lid. And it will roll with heavy duty wheels on the bottom
I am also going to deck the cages out with a waterfall, vines, and other cute little things. Here is what I have to far.
Ornament.jpg
Waterfall.jpg
Rock.gif
Vine.gif
And some awesome signs....
sign 1.jpg
sign 2.jpg
sign 3.jpg

Let me know what you think!!!!! :) Thanks for reading it all too lol

Last edited by a moderator:

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Good job, and hats off to Dad for the help. I figure your a younger torty person with alot of initiative .
As a reminder to any new keepers.Trying to save money or cut corners in certain applications should be avoided.
For example :
“Thats a exo terra 10.0 UVB bulb mounted in a cheap 10 dollar light fixture I bought at Walmart. The ceramic fixtures were around 3$ a piece and the lamp cords around 4$. So very cheap way to go and very easy. I hate messing with those dome fixtures lol”
Sounds like you found some type of ceramic base...but whats it mounted to? Is there a heat reflector shield?
Couple of things that can go wrong here:
You should never skimp on the fixture, while being “ cheap” you shouldn’t use a fixture with a plastic base ( looks like you thought of that :) ) . They will melt , and if not catch fire …expose harmful vapors as the plastic heats up. Also a cheap ‘ lamp cord is a no~ no… these too will heat up drastically and for sure start a fire if they fail. Always best to use at least a number 14# gauge wire known as a 14-3, with a ground. If Around damp areas (keeping Rf’s) it should be run through a GFI circuit, to prevent any hazards from the moisture.
Your efforts are noticed and a very good effort, but I do stress use a ceramic base fixture mounted with a heat reflector
(Dosnt have to be a dome light) which can be bought at Lowe’s , Home depot ect. And avoid 2- prong “ lamp cords” .
“It’s not worth the savings if you burn the house down”
JD~:)

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
N2TORTS said:
Good job, and hats off to Dad for the help. I figure your a younger torty person with alot of initiative .
As a reminder to any new keepers.Trying to save money or cut corners in certain applications should be avoided.
For example :
“Thats a exo terra 10.0 UVB bulb mounted in a cheap 10 dollar light fixture I bought at Walmart. The ceramic fixtures were around 3$ a piece and the lamp cords around 4$. So very cheap way to go and very easy. I hate messing with those dome fixtures lol”
Sounds like you found some type of ceramic base...but whats it mounted to? Is there a heat reflector shield?
Couple of things that can go wrong here:
You should never skimp on the fixture, while being “ cheap” you shouldn’t use a fixture with a plastic base ( looks like you thought of that :) ) . They will melt , and if not catch fire …expose harmful vapors as the plastic heats up. Also a cheap ‘ lamp cord is a no~ no… these too will heat up drastically and for sure start a fire if they fail. Always best to use at least a number 14# gauge wire known as a 14-3, with a ground. If Around damp areas (keeping Rf’s) it should be run through a GFI circuit, to prevent any hazards from the moisture.
Your efforts are noticed and a very good effort, but I do stress use a ceramic base fixture mounted with a heat reflector
(Dosnt have to be a dome light) which can be bought at Lowe’s , Home depot ect. And avoid 2- prong “ lamp cords” .
“It’s not worth the savings if you burn the house down”

the lamp cords r plugged into an extension cord that is pulled into a GFI outlet like u would put in a kitchen or bathroom. :)
The lamp cords aren't getting very hot , is it juat a very gradual thing ?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
[/quote]

the lamp cords r plugged into an extension cord that is pulled into a GFI outlet like u would put in a kitchen or bathroom. :)
The lamp cords aren't getting very hot , is it juat a very gradual thing ?

[/quote]

Good job on the GFI . I assume your extension cord is 12 or 14 gauge it will handle the heat but keep an eye on the lamp cord.
Happy Tort~N

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Your enclosure looks very nice! Large, yes, but your tort will grow, so that's fine. He won't get bored.
The lamp bases you have are ceramic, and here is a link where they are used inside the roof of a Rubbermaid box, they do use a heat reflector that they took from a clamp on fixture, in case you need to see a picture of one.
http://www.russiantortoise.org/deck_box.htm.

Looks like you have both put a lot of thought into this, and you sure have a helpful Dad! He is a lucky tort.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
Your enclosure looks very nice! Large, yes, but your tort will grow, so that's fine. He won't get bored.
The lamp bases you have are ceramic, and here is a link where they are used inside the roof of a Rubbermaid box, they do use a heat reflector that they took from a clamp on fixture, in case you need to see a picture of one.
http://www.russiantortoise.org/deck_box.htm.

Looks like you have both put a lot of thought into this, and you sure have a helpful Dad! He is a lucky tort.

The link didn't work :(
I was really interested in seeing it because as he grows bigger and gets taller I will need to elevate the lights so that they aren't right up on his shell

Thanks for all the advice and compliments :) gupta loves his new cage and is roaming and walking around a lot when he isn't sleeping in his new humidity hide.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Looks great and yes the lamp cord heats up over time and wears out, most lamp manufacturers don't plan on the lamp being on all day every day. But I'd imagine with a 100 watt your pretty safe. Just keep an eye out for anything being thrown away with a cord, I cut all the grounded cords off things that are being tossed. It's nice to have a supply of heavy duty cords with 3 prong plugs attached.

A suggestion I might add which I really like having is a Dimmer switch, my fixture has one and find it perfect for adjusting the temps since my light is fixed in place.

You can get reflective sheet at lowes or I've even seen Heavy Foil used, it will save on electricity if you can focus the heat all down and dimm the heat lamps.

It looks great, very nice build, I'm sure Gupta will love it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I love it. How are the fumes on the truck bed liner stuff? I have been looking for a good way to water proof wood, but have not found it yet.

I would put some flagstone or slate under each heat lamp to disperse the heat and make it easier to measure temps and better for basking. You may have to go trough a few bulbs to find the right wattage since you can't adjust them up or down at all.

Lastly, are the red bulbs just for night? Sometimes using colored bulbs during the daytime makes thing look "funny" to them. Sometimes they will eat the substrate instead of their food under red lights during the day and it just messes with there head. They need it brightly lit with "daylight" bulbs during the day and dark at night.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I love it. How are the fumes on the truck bed liner stuff? I have been looking for a good way to water proof wood, but have not found it yet.

I would put some flagstone or slate under each heat lamp to disperse the heat and make it easier to measure temps and better for basking. You may have to go trough a few bulbs to find the right wattage since you can't adjust them up or down at all.

Lastly, are the red bulbs just for night? Sometimes using colored bulbs during the daytime makes thing look "funny" to them. Sometimes they will eat the substrate instead of their food under red lights during the day and it just messes with there head. They need it brightly lit with "daylight" bulbs during the day and dark at night.

I have been keeping the red bulb one during the day too because I thought they couldn't see they light. I changed it for a just regular old clear 50 watt house hold bulb. So its pretty bright in the daytime now. Except where his hide is , I only have a 60 watt CHE because he likes his naps and I don't want to blind him with no where to go for shade.
At night the only thing that stays on is the CHE and the red light. So its really dark , especially where he sleeps in his hide.

O and honestly this truck bed liner stuff is awesome! I can't smell it at all , all I smell is cypress mulch and it isn't going to flake or come off. It was kinda pricey but will make the cage last forever ( I am hoping)

I have found that with tortoises you can never have too many bulbs.. Of all wattages and kinds lol
I have a lot every since I got Gupta, I find a usage for them all.

Im probably going to buy a full spectrum low UVB light to go in his cage too, a long fluorescent tube. So he can really see like he would outside. I think that would stimulate his eating more.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Great work! I love the truckliner idea, I may opt for that next time I construct an enclosure.
You might want to have some sort of reflector for the backside of your tubelight. A lot of UVB is lost when a reflector is absent:
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/fluorescenttubereflectortests.htm

If you need something cheap, tinfoil behind the bulb is fine!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Lotsa thought into that one...very nice! My ONLY concern for now...what do we know about the toxicity of the roll-on liner...what's gonna happen under the light...which brings up my only OTHER concern...are those lights strong enough...do they supply enough heat/UV? You'll want to put in a thermometer/humidity gauge! Also...instead of the humidifier...just dump a bucket of warm water over the substrate...since you're waterproof...it's the BEST way to keep the habitat humid!

OVERALL: A+

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
I have added some decorations and made some adjustments to the lights. I now have a 50 watt just clear house hold light on the far right, a 75 watt Sun Glo light in the middle, and a 60 watt CHE on the far left

I added some decorations that I found at First Monday trade days where I live. (I washed them really, really good don't worry)

IMG_4572.jpg

IMG_4562.jpg

IMG_4554.jpg

IMG_4549.jpg

Next items on list.
Put some foil over the top of the cage about the UVB to reflect UV down
Add some violas
buy a full spectrum light to simulate what it would look like outside to promote eating and more activity. :)
[/quote]

DeanS said:
Lotsa thought into that one...very nice! My ONLY concern for now...what do we know about the toxicity of the roll-on liner...what's gonna happen under the light...which brings up my only OTHER concern...are those lights strong enough...do they supply enough heat/UV? You'll want to put in a thermometer/humidity gauge! Also...instead of the humidifier...just dump a bucket of warm water over the substrate...since you're waterproof...it's the BEST way to keep the habitat humid!

OVERALL: A+

The truck bed liner isn't toxic once it completely airs out and dries, and I am confident that since trucks with roll on truck bed liner sit out in the blazing sun all the time that nothing is going to happen to it. I read a lot of reviews on line and they all said it was great stuff. :) It last much longer than paint and is much tougher and much more waterproof thats why I choose it.
It is pretty much "unchipable" too so I know he isn't going to digest any of it.
Yes the lights are strong enough, :) Its 100 -105 degrees under the basking light (lots of UVA) and he has a 10.0 UVB
And its at least 80 throughout his whole enclosure (I use a temp gun and just take the temp of every last inch of the enclosure)
I don't need high wattage bulbs with a covered enclosure that isn't very tall.
I am about to take a lot of the cypress mulch out and mix in peat moss cause just cypress mulch doesn't hold water for anything.. dries out completely. Then I will be pouring in hot water and mixing it all about and squirting down , but with cypress mulch its just pointless. I will also run the humidifier every hour or so

Do I get an A+++++ now? lol :D

mattandbowie

5 Year Member
Tom said:

CUTE. :)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
VERY NICE!!!
.....here is my one main concern....
The roll on bed liner. Though it may be waterproof and super tuff, I have found nothing tuffer than WalkingRocks spurs! As Gupta gets larger and starts nuzzling into corners, keep a watch in those same corners for peeling or gouges in the wood itself and make sure you remove any thing that might be ingestable.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Zamric said:
VERY NICE!!!
The roll on bed liner. Though it may be waterproof and super tuff, I have found nothing tuffer than WalkingRocks spurs! As Gupta gets larger and starts nuzzling into corners, keep a watch in those same corners for peeling or gouges in the wood itself and make sure you remove any thing that might be ingestable.

Every time he tries to get all cozy in a corner I stop cause I dont want him ding that really , id rather him use his huge box. I will def be watching though

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
BrinnANDGupta said:
Zamric said:
VERY NICE!!!

Every time he tries to get all cozy in a corner I stop cause I dont want him ding that really , id rather him use his huge box. I will def be watching though

I don't recommend interfering with denning. They wanna be where they wanna be...and that's all there is to it. You can move him...but he'll go back to his 'favorite' spot...EVERYTIME!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That picture of him in the middle of the bare habitat is priceless!

Status
Not open for further replies.