GuZoo Tortoise SEIZED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoopaNGoomba

5 Year Member
You might remember this thread http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Tortoise-in-distress-at-Canadian-Zoo-PICTURES#axzz1b4hFZyMu about a tortoise we have been trying to get removed from a zoo that is in the process of being shut down, an effort spearheaded by a group I am president of (www.caawps.ca)

CCAWWPS members went to Guzoo this past Thanksgiving weekend (in Canada, anyways) and took pictures and video of the Sulcata and immediately filed a complaint with the Alberta SPCA.

We were really hoping for charges to be filed under the APA but that is like having teeth pulled. We heard back from the ASPCA today and the tortoise was seized. He has MBD. They are awaiting bloodwork. If his bloodwork is okay, he will be returned to Guzoo.... but before being returned, the zoo has to build a large appropriate enclosure with proper lighting and follow a strict veterinary approved diet. I highly doubt they will do this.

The tortoise is currently at the Calgary Zoo and I really hope he can stay there for the rest of his life and NOT be returned to Guzoo. Now we just have to rescue the rest of the animals...

Here is a picture and video from this past weekend:

314392_290407397643949_206000459417977_1198194_1755359794_n.jpg
Note the flies...

A short video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Ocnop6xSA

And here is an article in the Calgary Sun with the zoo owner complaining about the injustice.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/10/17/guzoo-miffed-over-tortoise-seizure

The issue with the lions teeth is in response to this picture that we sent in with an official complaint to the ASPCA:

316527_10150366518196667_529481666_9961110_1225594748_n.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

I am so glad you are doing that. I am proud you took a stand

flyingsqueak

5 Year Member
!!!!! I am literally in tears over that enclosure. I hope you succeed in keeping that tortoise from ever going back there and saving the other animals.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I truly hope they lose their permits and licenses to run that horrible pit.....I am glad that there are organizations in the business of animal welfare...for sure. I am also glad you found this horror and have pursued it .....:D. It may well prevent these yahoos from remaining in business....

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Amazing job for bringing it to their attention and getting something done. I hope he doesn't get returned to them and gets to stay where he's currently at. Definitely keep us posted!

Grigor.Love.

5 Year Member
NY
I'm proud that you stuck with this. It really seems like your (and other's) voices have been heard. Hopefully there are other's that are as determined as you about the harm being done in zoo's like this.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi, i am very proud of you. you have a big heart. thank you for helping those poor animals in need. thank you, lindy

tortoise-kid

5 Year Member
Since you guys are an animal welfare group, are you guys involved with farm animal welfare. promoting vegetarianism, and stuff like that? Also Congrats on the Success :)

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
He breeds New Guinea Singing dogs, I thought they were highly protected and regulated. They should all be removed from that place and that should be the beginning of proving how deplorable that place is.

Good luck and God bless.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It is so uplifting to see a positive result from all the years of hard work trying to get things done. I hope the future will be as bright for the changes to the other animals' housing.

Kailey

5 Year Member
I remember reading about this awful place in the paper a few months ago... Good to see something's being done. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.