Habitat transition, indoors

Ajbuer0325

Anna is 18mos old, 2lbs, and the size of softball. Current house is 2ft by 4ft table lined with plastic sheeting with cypress mulch. Covered pvc tent for humidity. I want to move her to the spot beneath her current table for more space, but it's brick, need to know if thermostat heat mat would be safe to use ?FB_IMG_1517849104573.jpgFB_IMG_1517849110206.jpg

Rusky

Location (City and/or State)
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Not sure we understand your question. You can use a heat mat for warmth, or ceramic heat emitters are another great option. Are you asking if the brick can be used as a wall of her enclosure?

Ajbuer0325

If I put heat mat on the brick is it safe for her to walk and sleep on? And would it be fire hazard to have any kind of bedding over top of it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species and what length?

A Kane heat mat can work on brick, but brick will be too abrasive for your tortoises feet and plastron. No heat mat should have bedding on it.

Also, would you be building a closed chamber? I ask because ambient room temp will be too cold unless the whole room is heated and humidified all the time.

Ajbuer0325

I was afraid of that, ok then I'll probably build another box exactly the same way but on Bigger scale, I have her table covered for humidity purposes already, I'll just make it bigger. She is a sulcata

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was afraid of that, ok then I'll probably build another box exactly the same way but on Bigger scale, I have her table covered for humidity purposes already, I'll just make it bigger. She is a sulcata

You could make a new box that is the size of that brick area and it might last another year or two depending on growth rate, but you better start planning for something big in the near future. 900 grams in 18 months is a pretty decent growth rate. If that continues, you will run out of space soon.

Where are you?

Ajbuer0325

I only planned to keep her indoors til after she is 2 because of humidity reasons and keeping pyramiding from happening. I live in Virginia with 2.4 acres of land. I'll be building her permanent outdoor enclosure and heated house for winters, this coming summer

MrMarg&me

Temecula California
Annabelle looks very pretty to me! Your efforts at keeping humidity high and constant seem to have paid off.