hardy

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason longboard

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
wich torts are hardiest for california climate,even if indoors.with out door days.Im being offered a 5 inch desert but what others are hardiest.I love native herps and would love to take in the little one.I asked a few qs in the desert thread too but im not sure how active this site is so im kindof spreading.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
I am sure you will have a few folks chime in to help you out...You could also search on Shelled Warriors Forum website.

Good luck and WELCOME!

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
welcome to TFO!
a five inch DT is probably at least a year old and, under proper care, he will probably do fine. a vet checkup might be necessary to make sure he's nice n healthy but it sounds like youre getting him from an experienced keeper

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
josh said:
a five inch DT is probably at least a year old and, under proper care, he will probably do fine. a vet checkup might be necessary to make sure he's nice n healthy but it sounds like youre getting him from an experienced keeper

A five inch DT should be over a year old.
My largest yearling is 3 1/4 inches and 115 grams. Josh, how big are your babys.

I agree with Josh a vet check for a new shelled baby is very smart.
DT is a Cal. native and are hardy torts as most torts are fairly hardy.
They get med large My largest adult male is almost 14 pounds and I know they can get heavier than that.
try checking out this address for their care http://www.tortoise.org/general/descare.html

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
my hatchlings are smaller than 3 1/4 in
i stand corrected...i was eyeballing from memory was yearlings i've seen. i guess 5 inches would be a bit older than just 1 year

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
To answer your question, most tortoises that dont require too much humidity would do fine in Cali. For example if you were capable of housing giant torts, the Sulcata thrives in Cali. Leopards also do very well in Cali.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
josh said:
my hatchlings are smaller than 3 1/4 in
i stand corrected...i was eyeballing from memory was yearlings i've seen. i guess 5 inches would be a bit older than just 1 year

Josh no correction necessary. I just saw 2 three year olds that were about 10 and 11 inches - Too, too big for that age. The woman said she had them from hatchlings but their food and living conditions were bad :(:(
Now they are in much better hands and hopefully will do fine.

jason longboard, how old is this tort? And were are you getting it from Breeder, petstore, owner? (I'm Just nosey)

jason longboard

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thanks guys,its a girl that just rescues herps and other animals,she has her own pet tort but she was given 2 young ones by a freind whos torts had babys.Not sure on age,ill ask.I am a regular on monsterfishkeepers.com and they have a very active reptiole forum but hardly anyone with these guys.im glad i found someone.Weather i get one or not.Ijust know i get atatched to animals and i dont want to kill the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.