Hatchling Brumation

ttjorgens

Location (City and/or State)
Truckee, CA
We have a DT hatchling--almost a year old (Nov 6)--who lives in a tortoise table at the moment. His energy, appetite, and growth have been great to date. I recently created a longer, sloping downward tunnel for him which he is really enjoying. Maybe a little too much. I put the food out and he bee-lined for it this morning, laid under the UVB for a short period, and then went back to his tunnel. Somewhere I read that it's a good idea to try and prevent hatchlings from brumating their first year? Is this true? A sign it's time to change the UVB light again?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't allow my CDT hatchlings to brumate until they've gone through two winters in the house. Some of them really want to, but if you keep the enclosure at summertime light and heat, they' should have no idea it's getting to be winter. This is a whole lot easier to achieve in a "closed chamber."

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is a controversial subject and opinions run the whole spectrum. In the end, its a personal decision. After many years of doing it both ways and reading other people's experiences too, I am of the opinion that it is fine to hibernate babies, and it is also fine to never hibernate them. It can be done successfully either way. I, and many other people have done it successfully either way.

Once you've decided which way you want to go, we can give you more specific tips on how to accomplish your goal.

And I'm appalled that you didn't attach pics of your tortoise for all fo us to enjoy!!! :p (My attempt at humor...)

ttjorgens

Truckee, CA
Thank you Tom and Yvonne, great info

I went down to check on him and he was munching away, so maybe things are okay since I haven't changed any temps.

Here's a few pics of Tiddles in my son Tommy's hand. Been a great learning experience for him keeping track of the scute growths. :)

Attachments

• tiddles.JPG
    tiddles.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Tiddles at one year.jpg
    Tiddles at one year.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks like he had a bit of a rough start, but you've done beautifully with him.

ttjorgens

Truckee, CA
How do you know if it was a rough start? Our friends gave him/her to us about 5-6 months after hatching.