Hatchling Constipation? Please help ASAP!

capedthespian

I just returned to find my Sulcata hatchling like this. I don't know how long she's been struggling to pass it, but it's been twenty minutes. I've had her soaking in warm water since I saw her, but it still isn't ImageUploadedByTortForum1391902062.905920.jpghelping. Some of the feces have dissolved in the water and fibers from her substrate, coconut coir, have floated to the top. Isn't it supposed to prevent intestinal impaction? Her diet is a variety of broadleaf weeds, fresh grass, rose petals, and occasional romaine.

Her tail is swollen and it's evident that she has more backed up.

It's been an hour now and still nothing. Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
Feeding her a little bit of plain pumpkin purée (available in any grocery store in the baking aisle, just make sure it is 100% pumpkin, nothing else added) will help move things along in her intestines.

tort_luv_5055

New York (USA)
If you fees her the laxative (pumpkin) it will move things along. There are other things you can do too.

I have heard that people put plastic bags over their hands and just gently rub the torts little butt. Supposedly it works like a massage, helping to move things along. You can try that.

For now, put the water under the basking light. Let him hang out and push under there for about 10-15 more minutes or as long as it takes. Try pulling gently on the feces.

Thats all I've got. Just do what ever you can to help her relax and get things moving.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
What type of food dish are you offering the food on? Also, the tort will ingest substrate...period. The goal is to keep the tort hydrated enough that when things are ingested they will move through the tort....

How is the tort doing now?

capedthespian

ImageUploadedByTortForum1391930724.535010.jpg
This is her food dish. The substrate is built up around it to help her get in and out. She seems just as active and bright-eyed, but her tail is still lumpy and possibly compacted. I didn't constantly observe her, but I don't know if she are any of her pumpkin. ImageUploadedByTortForum1391931054.016516.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would use something without such defined edges/higher edges, perhaps something like this?:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OW9GEU/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I would use one of these for both the water and another for the food...they can be pushed down a bit into the substrate to stay secure and steady....but I would not press the substrate up and around the dish....

This will help to keep the tort from ingesting the substrate so easily. Also, if you want to you can use a flat single slate tile (washed and cleaned before used) that will allow even easier access...

capedthespian

I'll work on that. Her water dish is better, as it slopes downward on one side. Does her tail look compacted or normal? I don't have any pictures of her rear for comparison and I'm hoping someone with more experience can help me out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can't see the picture clearly. Are you saying that there is feces coming out, but stuck? It's ok to gently pull it out. Lubricate around the cloaca with mineral oil, then pull out the feces.

capedthespian

I pulled out what I could, but it looks like there are still feces stuck in her colon, above the cloaca. She has been eating some pumpkin, so hopefully that will help now.