Hatchling Growth!

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
How long do you think it will last for a 2 month old Sulcata ?

Tom will be a better reference for growth rates in sulcatas. I would say this could last him 2 years or so. I would say that the 2x4 can get cramped with a 6 inch redfoot.

The 3x3 will definitely last because it eliminates the narowness of the 2 foot section.

I know that amazon sells a 3x6 which if you have the room for it would be ideal and could last him a much longer time!

Briannesmith1

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson
Tom will be a better reference for growth rates in sulcatas. I would say this could last him 2 years or so. I would say that the 2x4 can get cramped with a 6 inch redfoot.

The 3x3 will definitely last because it eliminates the narowness of the 2 foot section.

I know that amazon sells a 3x6 which if you have the room for it would be ideal and could last him a much longer time!

Do you have the link for the 3x6 closed chamber on amazon? I’ve been looking everywhere. My friend wants to build one for me but he’s charging me to much. I want my Sulcata to thrive in a big enough enclosure until I can house him outside.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Do you have the link for the 3x6 closed chamber on amazon? I’ve been looking everywhere. My friend wants to build one for me but he’s charging me to much. I want my Sulcata to thrive in a big enough enclosure until I can house him outside.

Basically if you follow my 2x4 thread and modify the measurements to a 3x6 you have everything you need!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom I just built a 4ft by 8 foot open tortoise table for my adult Russian today, he seems like he will be way happier in his new giant home once it is safe for him. As for the Sulcata the humidity is still running around 70% in his partially closed chamber. How long do the Sulcatas have to have a closed chamber w high humidities? Just until they are able to live outside on their own? 10-15 inches?

The problem with a partially covered enclosure is twofold. One: You'll never get humidity where you need it. 70% is two low to prevent pyramiding, and its much too low to stop pyramiding in progress. Two: Having the lights outside and having the top partially open creates a chimney effect. It draws your warm humid air up and out of the enclosure, replacing it with cooler, drier room air. Having the lights outside also means a cooler ambient, and it requires much higher wattage bulbs to attempt to maintain good temps. These hotter bulbs cause even more carapace desiccation, which leads to more pyramiding. And the tortoise will bask longer and more often because ambient is cooler.

How long do they need humidity? Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. As long as they are growing, they need humidity. This appears to be less critical for sulcatas once they start getting larger, but I'm finding it does depend on climate at lest to some degree. People in hot dry climates, like you and me, need to pay more attention to this with our growing sulcatas than people who live in more humid climates.

Briannesmith1

Tucson
The problem with a partially covered enclosure is twofold. One: You'll never get humidity where you need it. 70% is two low to prevent pyramiding, and its much too low to stop pyramiding in progress. Two: Having the lights outside and having the top partially open creates a chimney effect. It draws your warm humid air up and out of the enclosure, replacing it with cooler, drier room air. Having the lights outside also means a cooler ambient, and it requires much higher wattage bulbs to attempt to maintain good temps. These hotter bulbs cause even more carapace desiccation, which leads to more pyramiding. And the tortoise will bask longer and more often because ambient is cooler.

How long do they need humidity? Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. As long as they are growing, they need humidity. This appears to be less critical for sulcatas once they start getting larger, but I'm finding it does depend on climate at lest to some degree. People in hot dry climates, like you and me, need to pay more attention to this with our growing sulcatas than people who live in more humid climates.

How tall does the cage have to be for the lights the hang on the inside? I saw you use a 65 watt incandescent flood in your enclosures what height are they at? I’m having my friend build a closed chamber this week for me that is 3 ft by 3ft and I haven’t decided a height

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
How tall does the cage have to be for the lights the hang on the inside? I saw you use a 65 watt incandescent flood in your enclosures what height are they at? I’m having my friend build a closed chamber this week for me that is 3 ft by 3ft and I haven’t decided a height

Is this question for me or Tom?

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Either I’ll take advice from anyone knowledgeable [emoji4]

2-3feet will be good. Note that anything above 2 feet will give you a lot more room to work with in adjusting heights of lamps. All you will need to run in a closed chamber are a MVB and a CHE. This will be plenty of heat!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
24-30 inches is a good height inside. 18 inches can work, but its difficult. Over 24-30 inches is unnecessary, but not harmful.

Briannesmith1

Tucson
Jaxx will be 3 months this Friday! But I just took this funny picture of him in his food dish[emoji23] IMG_1367.jpg

I was finally able to get his cage humidity to stay at 88% and ambient temps around 90! He is doing good and actually enjoying his soaks now. He is around 85 grams I think but I will post an official weight this Friday. I hope he grows into his pyramiding so it doesn’t look as pronounced! Thanks for everyone’s help.

Briannesmith1

Tucson
IMG_1531155537.615506.jpg
Making quick progress!
IMG_1531155569.997743.jpg
He only has the slightest pyramiding because his first month was dry, good growth rings now and developing his personality. :)