Hatchling not Growing

Kellymay528

I got my Sulcata tortoise for Christmas. He was a hatchling. He is about 2 1/2 inches now but just isn't growing. Maybe I'm being crazy but I heard they grow pretty fast. Any opinions?

Feeding wheat grass, minimal collards,orchard grass and minimal grassland for now. He also has a cuttle bone with his food and once a week I will sprinkle a little D3 powder. He eats all the time! Never stops. He's very active for being a baby. He has his UV, basking, and a night light since it can get a little cold. I use coco bedding and keep it moist, he has a hide and a very shallow water bowl. He's currently in a 40 gallon.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Little more info for proper help. Day, night and basking temps. Humidity day and night? Where did you purchase it from and do you know if it was started dry or humid? How often do you soak?

Kellymay528

Little more info for proper help. Day, night and basking temps. Humidity day and night? Where did you purchase it from and do you know if it was started dry or humid? How often do you soak?

Night is about 70. Day is about 80-85. Basking is about 90-95. It is always humid to keep him hydrated. I bathe him once a day. I do not know about his past. Do not judge me but he was given to me from backwaterrepriles I did not know about them until I received him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No judging. Night temps are too low for a proper humid enclosure, which should be 80%. A cold and humid tortoises will get sick. Hot and humid is what you want day and night. The temp should not go below 80. @Tom may be able to help further.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Kellymay, we have no reason to judge you. It serves no purpose. We ask these questions in order to be able to help you with your questions.

Knowing the source of your tortoise and its history give us clues toward solving your problem. No offense was intended.

What is the weight, in grams, of your hatchling now? Do you know what it was in December?

I see a few things initially that could be an issue:
1. Too cold at night.
2. They need it dark at night, but still warm.
3. You need some more variety and protein in the diet. Offer some clover, beans, fresh alfalfa or something of that nature once in a while. Mazuri a couple times a week also helps. Make sure your tortoise is well hydrated with daily soaks with this diet too. You can also offer endive, escarole, and spring mix in addition to what you offer now, if store bought stuff suits you.
4. What type of UV bulb are you using?

Here is a diet sheet with all sorts of feeding suggestions:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Kellymay528

Kellymay, we have no reason to judge you. It serves no purpose. We ask these questions in order to be able to help you with your questions.

Knowing the source of your tortoise and its history give us clues toward solving your problem. No offense was intended.

What is the weight, in grams, of your hatchling now? Do you know what it was in December?

I see a few things initially that could be an issue:
1. Too cold at night.
2. They need it dark at night, but still warm.
3. You need some more variety and protein in the diet. Offer some clover, beans, fresh alfalfa or something of that nature once in a while. Mazuri a couple times a week also helps. Make sure your tortoise is well hydrated with daily soaks with this diet too. You can also offer endive, escarole, and spring mix in addition to what you offer now, if store bought stuff suits you.
4. What type of UV bulb are you using?

Here is a diet sheet with all sorts of feeding suggestions:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
Reptisun. I do not know the weight in grams.