Hatchling still not doing well :(

Amandaconda

Hello again
My hatchling still isn't doing so well.
We finally got his cage situated with a basking spot of 85-90° and the rest of his tank at around 75-80°. Humidity never goes under 70%.
He soaks daily or every other day in warm water for 10-15minutes and sometimes I add calcium powder in there as well.
Other than that he has no appetite and occasionally drinks water. He rarely moves around his cage and usually just sits in his favorite shell for most of the day. His eyes only open in the morning and when he is being soaked. He always looks dry and dehydrated as well so sometimes I soak him more than once a day.
Also I'm going to post pictures below from my lap top.
Please help

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Your temperatures are too low for a redfoot baby, especially a sick one. Your low should be no less than 80F. Bump everything up by 5 degrees F. What are your night time lows? You want no less than 80F at night too.

Amandaconda

Your temperatures are too low for a redfoot baby, especially a sick one. Your low should be no less than 80F. Bump everything up by 5 degrees F. What are your night time lows? You want no less than 80F at night too.

Apparently i have two accounts...
we have been trying very hard to bump up the temperatures. we currently have a 150W bulb on a home made thermostat that goes up to 90-95 degrees AND we have two heating pads in between the plastic container and the wooden box he is in.

Amandaconda

Here are pictures of his eyes and his enclosure!

Attachments

• IMG_2211.JPG
    IMG_2211.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2212.JPG
    IMG_2212.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2213.JPG
    IMG_2213.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2214.JPG
    IMG_2214.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2215.JPG
    IMG_2215.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 44

Amandaconda

This is what he looks like after I soaked him for almost half an hour. I have no idea why he always looks so dry!

Attachments

• WIN_20161218_161158.JPG
    WIN_20161218_161158.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 38
  • WIN_20161218_161207.JPG
    WIN_20161218_161207.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 37

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
I think your temperatures are good. Have you considered taking him to a vet?

Amandaconda

I think your temperatures are good. Have you considered taking him to a vet?

I have but I have no funds to pay for a trip to the vet. A few months ago I may have been able to afford it but theres no way now and my parents aren't willing to help out.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Ask for a vet visit to a recognized herp vet for your Christmas present.
Are you using coiled or compact bulbs ?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Here are pictures of his eyes and his enclosure!
Why are there 2 lamps, what's in them.
Do you have a layer of coir under that orchid bark?
What are you checking your temps and humidity with?
95 is too hot, your cooking him. 75 is too cold for a sick tort. Get your temps between 80 and 88 throughout and humidity 80 to 90℅.
What are you feeding him?

Amandaconda

Why are there 2 lamps, what's in them.
Do you have a layer of coir under that orchid bark?
What are you checking your temps and humidity with?
95 is too hot, your cooking him. 75 is too cold for a sick tort. Get your temps between 80 and 88 throughout and humidity 80 to 90℅.
What are you feeding him?

One lamp is a 150W basking light and the other is a 10.0 UVB compact fluorescent
Feeding him Kale and Spring Mix, carrots and Reptile munchie's vegetables mix, occasionally tomatoes and bananas. Also sprinkling repti-calcium and Repashy superfood's tortoise supplement.
different parts of the habitat are at different temperatures, he chooses to be under the basking light.
underneath our substrate we have moist organic potting soil.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
One lamp is a 150W basking light and the other is a 10.0 UVB compact fluorescent
Feeding him Kale and Spring Mix, carrots and Reptile munchie's vegetables mix, occasionally tomatoes and bananas. Also sprinkling repti-calcium and Repashy superfood's tortoise supplement.
different parts of the habitat are at different temperatures, he chooses to be under the basking light.
underneath our substrate we have moist organic potting soil.
How big is that enclosure?

Amandaconda

Ask for a vet visit to a recognized herp vet for your Christmas present.
Are you using coiled or compact bulbs ?
The heating light is not a compact bulb. I did not want to get a ceramic heat emitter because it does not give off light. the uvb bulb is a compact fluorescent

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
What do you mean home made thermostat, is that 150w basking bulb switching on and off.

Amandaconda

What do you mean home made thermostat, is that 150w basking bulb switching on and off.
We have a custom thermostat. The thermostat is controlling the basking bulb and a heating pad underneath the black tub. Once the temperature gets to a certain point the light and heating pad switches off to maintain the temperature i want.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Your lights shouldn't be on a thermostat - turning them on and off isn't good for the bulb or the tortoise. So does that mean your basking bulb comes on at night to keep it warm too?

Amandaconda

Your lights shouldn't be on a thermostat - turning them on and off isn't good for the bulb or the tortoise. So does that mean your basking bulb comes on at night to keep it warm too?
you think my light being on a thermostat is making my tortoise sick?
the thermostat is NOT on at night. there is heat at night but there is NO light, because its night time. if the 150W basking light is NOT on the thermostat it gets to 120 degrees. So I will NOT be taking off the thermostat.