Hatchling still not doing well :(

Amandaconda

Tortoises need complete darkness to sleep properly.
No light at night.
Thank you so much. I appreciate it a lot. Other than Temperature do you know why he would be so sick? what can i do to help him before i can afford a vet visit?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Thank you so much. I appreciate it a lot. Other than Temperature do you know why he would be so sick? what can i do to help him before i can afford a vet visit?
The UV light you are using can cause problems.
If you are keeping the lights on all the time, that could be a factor.
Probably a combination of factors, But i'm afraid you do need to change the bulb, probably for an MVB, get a CHE and make sure he can sleep in the dark at the correct temperatures. Or he will likely die.
Sorry. .

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Keeping him warm, even if it means you have lights on at night, is essential in the short term.

Turn off the compact fluorescent bulb.

30 minutes soaks in warm water every day.

Soak in carrot baby food. Mix baby food into the water. It'll provide a little vitamins and calories.

Amandaconda

The UV light you are using can cause problems.
If you are keeping the lights on all the time, that could be a factor.
Probably a combination of factors, But i'm afraid you do need to change the bulb, probably for an MVB, get a CHE and make sure he can sleep in the dark at the correct temperatures. Or he will likely die.
Sorry. .
Do you have a link where i could purchase one? 'i've been to dozens of pet stores and lizard shops and they never recommended these and i cant seem to find one online

Amandaconda

Keeping him warm, even if it means you have lights on at night, is essential in the short term.

Turn off the compact fluorescent bulb.

30 minutes soaks in warm water every day.

Soak in carrot baby food. Mix baby food into the water. It'll provide a little vitamins and calories.
Thank you so much for your help. i really appreciate it

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I would keep him in a Tupperware container of soaking wet sphagnum moss (you could get at home depot) , it'll keep him hydrated and let him hide . with a rock or brick in the Tupperware container to keep it submerged in a half full aquarium with the water kept at 85 degrees with an aquarium heater . a small basking light partially over one corner of the Tupperware container would be good , he doesn't look like he'd use it though ....... the aquarium should be partially covered with tinfoil when the light is on , and completely covered when it's off ..... when the light is on keep it uncovered enough the temp inside doesn't get over 90 ...too hot is every bit as bad as too cold ....... he doesn't look well at all , if he doesn't improve quickly being kept warm and wet , the only shot he's got , imo , is antibiotics (injectable , from a vet ) ......... myself personally , I think a mistake folks make getting baby turtle and tortoises is to put the in an adult sized setup right away ....... i'd keep them in a smaller area where I had complete control of the conditions ..........

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Do you have a link where i could purchase one? 'i've been to dozens of pet stores and lizard shops and they never recommended these and i cant seem to find one online
Best place for a CHE for me is eBay. I got my last ones for under £10. Same thing in reptile shop was £30.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One lamp is a 150W basking light and the other is a 10.0 UVB compact fluorescent
Feeding him Kale and Spring Mix, carrots and Reptile munchie's vegetables mix, occasionally tomatoes and bananas. Also sprinkling repti-calcium and Repashy superfood's tortoise supplement.
different parts of the habitat are at different temperatures, he chooses to be under the basking light.
underneath our substrate we have moist organic potting soil.

Please disconnect that 10.0 UVB compact fluorescent bulb and get rid of it. Those bulbs are known to cause eye problems in young tortoises. I know they're expensive, but you'll be much better off (and so will your tortoise) if you buy either a Mercury Vapor bulb - like this:

mercury vapor bulb.jpg

or a tube type fluorescent UVB bulb like this:

UVB light.jpg

I buy mine through amazon.com, but you can also find them at lightyourreptiles.com

Souptugo

5 Year Member
I second the MVB. I have spent probably close to $300 on all different sorts of lights when my little guy was a baby. I went from two 5.0 UV CFL to 2 10.0 CFL due to inexperience. Luckily no issues but I had to also add heating bulbs which costs money as well. I finally got rid of ALL CFLs and switched to two MVB. I currently use Powersuns - I have 1 160 W and 1 100 W at either ends of the enclosure so I can get different temps depending on how he likes it. It provides heat, UVB/UVA all in one. Mount it directly upright and not at an angle.

I think at night time, you should either get it very warm in the house or cover the entire thing with blankets to keep it warm.

Do you have a temperature gun? You can get one and check on his temperature and surrounding temps. It's a very useful tool to have. Point it at his shell/butt to get temps.

https://www.amazon.ca/Etekcity-Infr...=UTF8&qid=1482261338&sr=8-1&keywords=temp+gun

I really hope your little one will get better soon. All the best. Please keep us updated!

James

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Apart from taking him to a good reptile vet, this site is a really GOOD place to get help.

I understand your frustration and worry. I wish you and the little one the very best of luck. Hope he makes it.

Amandaconda

He's doing much better today guys! I changed the Uvb bulb to a ultraviolet heat lamp TEMPORARILY. I've also been trying to keep the humidity up to around 80-90%. Increased the heat to 95 degrees on the warm side and 80 degrees on the cool side. AND HE JUST ATE SOME DANDELION GREENS. I will continue to soak him 2-3 times a day until I can get a MVB light and a CHE or two ;):tort::<3:

BILBO-03

He's doing much better today guys! I changed the Uvb bulb to a ultraviolet heat lamp TEMPORARILY. I've also been trying to keep the humidity up to around 80-90%. Increased the heat to 95 degrees on the warm side and 80 degrees on the cool side. AND HE JUST ATE SOME DANDELION GREENS. I will continue to soak him 2-3 times a day until I can get a MVB light and a CHE or two ;):tort::<3:
That's just great! I'm so happy he's doing better:)

Amandaconda

Went to bed last night and he was eating kale, which he never did. but unfortunately he didn't make it through the night.:( Thank you everyone for being so kind, thoughtful, and giving. I hope you all have a happy holiday with your torts :<3::tort: