Hatchling thinks he's an acrobat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baltimore, Md
My Sulcata hatchling keeps climbing onto his hide, falling off and landing upside down. I've tried to pile the substrate around it so it is on a slope to help him turn back over but he continues to do it... Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Is he able to right himself after he lands on his back? The easiest and fastest thing is to change his hide into something he can not climb up on.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I agree with Jacqui. Id rather change the hide so that he cant flip over to start with. Good luck! :)

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Is he able to right himself after he lands on his back? The easiest and fastest thing is to change his hide into something he can not climb up on.

I agree change his hide! I had to do that with my RF, he wouldn't stop climbing on top... I believe it was because when he was on top he could stretch himself to see out of his enclosure, he is a nosey guy!

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Jacqui said:

Yes, as far as I know, but it takes a minute... There have been times where I happen to look over and he's upside down, but I'm not sure how long he was like that... Thank u, I will be changing his hide tomorrow :)

cemmons12 said:
I agree with Jacqui. Id rather change the hide so that he cant flip over to start with. Good luck! :)

Thank u :)

Watsonpartyof4 said:
I agree change his hide! I had to do that with my RF, he wouldn't stop climbing on top... I believe it was because when he was on top he could stretch himself to see out of his enclosure, he is a nosey guy!

Lol sounds like Master Oogway... I'm getting him a new hide tomorrow... Thanks :)

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
If it makes you feel better, my first boxie hatchling took a 4 ft dive off my dresser when I took my eyes away for a second. I believe she was about 5 days old at this point.

The solution? No more turtles in high places. :p

And yes, Maebe is doing just fine one year later :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Wish all our problems could be fixed so easily. :)

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I personally think you should stop trying to control him and let him follow his dream of becoming a circus performer...

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Mgridgaway said:
If it makes you feel better, my first boxie hatchling took a 4 ft dive off my dresser when I took my eyes away for a second. I believe she was about 5 days old at this point.

The solution? No more turtles in high places. :p

And yes, Maebe is doing just fine one year later :)

Oh wow! Glad she's ok :) So far mine hasn't been able to get up on his new hide lol :p btw love the name

Jacqui said:
Wish all our problems could be fixed so easily. :)

Exactly lol... So far so good :) don't know why I didn't think to change his hide... Duh Tara lol (that's me) :p

futureleopardtortoise said:
I personally think you should stop trying to control him and let him follow his dream of becoming a circus performer...

U know what?!? U are absolutely right lol Master Oogway the tightwalking tortoise... It's got a nice ring to it, right lol :)

tortiemama

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Mine did that over and over again when she was a wee one, like a carnival ride. She didn't have far to drop and I watched her like a hawk, but she always righted herself. Of course, I took her log away if I wasn't there- just in case!

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
What I did was bury the entire hide then dig the hid opening out.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
My Russian always does that on his log :p

That was the hide I had before I got his new one, which is made of slate, it kinda looks like the flinstones house lol :)

tortiemama said:
Mine did that over and over again when she was a wee one, like a carnival ride. She didn't have far to drop and I watched her like a hawk, but she always righted herself. Of course, I took her log away if I wasn't there- just in case!

That sound exactly like Oogway!! Must be a hatchling thing lol

tyguy35 said:
What I did was bury the entire hide then dig the hid opening out.

Actually, that's exactly what I did, but he kept doing it... I sloped the entrance so he could right himself easier, but it still worried me... Now he's got a new hide made of slate (it kinda looks like the flinstones house lol) instead of the log... He's just like having a new baby :p lol btw love the name, tank was my # 2 pick, but my husband and kids voted for Master Oogway :)

Desi1031

5 Year Member
Mine used to do that. Actually he still does but after landing upside down he soon learned how to slide off it and onto his tummy. Never turns upside down now. I have a video of him doing it ill have to post it, he picks up all fours. lol

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Desi1031 said:
Mine used to do that. Actually he still does but after landing upside down he soon learned how to slide off it and onto his tummy. Never turns upside down now. I have a video of him doing it ill have to post it, he picks up all fours. lol

Lol I wish mine would learn how to right himself, it drives me crazy when he's upside down... I try to let him learn, but if he takes too long, I flip him... Let me know when u post the video, it sounds hilarious and maybe Oogway can watch and learn lol :)

Desi1031

5 Year Member
Lol I wish mine would learn how to right himself, it drives me crazy when he's upside down... I try to let him learn, but if he takes too long, I flip him... Let me know when u post the video, it sounds hilarious and maybe Oogway can watch and learn lol :)

Lol. How funny mine is named Master Oogway too! My daughter named him lol. He does not flip over, he actually slides off the log on his belly and lands right side up. He used to fall over but then learned how to do a proper dismount lol.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Desi1031 said:

Lol. How funny mine is named Master Oogway too! My daughter named him lol. He does not flip over, he actually slides off the log on his belly and lands right side up. He used to fall over but then learned how to do a proper dismount lol.

Lol my kids named mine too... Wow I guess great minds think alike lol... Yeah I wish my Oogway would do it like yours, that's why I said maybe he could watch the video and learn lol

Status
Not open for further replies.