Hatchling Weights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hi all,
Just weighed and took SCL of my two cherryhead hatchlings, both came up under the minimum weight. Any suggestions to help me put some weight on them? I give them soaks once every few days, they hate it but receive them anyway. Diet is mostly wild greens (grape, dandelion, chicory, mallow, etc.) with some store bought greens (turnip & collard greens, red leaf lettuce occasionally). I had also been putting a lot of mushrooms into their greens, but noticed Rafiki was ignoring her greens and eating only mushrooms. To nip a bad habit in the bud, I've decreased their mushrooms to 1-2 times per week. They get fruit once a week the size of their head (strawberry, kiwi, mango, figs) and phoenix worms or Zoo Med's Forest Tortoise food once every 2-3 weeks for protein.

This morning was wild grape leaves and summer squash (grated).

The weight equation I used was:
(SCL)3(0.191) =expected weight in grams

Rafiki = 7cm(cubed)= 343(0.191) = 65g, actual WT is 52g
Coagi = 6.5cm(cubed) = 274.6(0.191) = 52.5g, actual WT is 45g

Their personalities are quite different, Coagi is generally fearless while Rafiki is more shy and wary. I feed them in separate locations and I haven't seen them bullying each other. Coagi's a voracious eater, Rafiki is a bit more picky but seems to eat fine (she was waiting by her dish this morning).

Any thoughts??? I'm a little worried, especially about Rafiki...she's 13g under the expected weight.

Redstrike said:
Hi all,
Just weighed and took SCL of my two cherryhead hatchlings, both came up under the minimum weight. Any suggestions to help me put some weight on them? I give them soaks once every few days, they hate it but receive them anyway. Diet is mostly wild greens (grape, dandelion, chicory, mallow, etc.) with some store bought greens (turnip & collard greens, red leaf lettuce occasionally). I had also been putting a lot of mushrooms into their greens, but noticed Rafiki was ignoring her greens and eating only mushrooms. To nip a bad habit in the bud, I've decreased their mushrooms to 1-2 times per week. They get fruit once a week the size of their head (strawberry, kiwi, mango, figs) and phoenix worms or Zoo Med's Forest Tortoise food once every 2-3 weeks for protein.

This morning was wild grape leaves and summer squash (grated).

The weight equation I used was:
(SCL)3(0.191) =expected weight in grams

Rafiki = 7cm(cubed)= 343(0.191) = 65g, actual WT is 52g
Coagi = 6.5cm(cubed) = 274.6(0.191) = 52.5g, actual WT is 45g

Their personalities are quite different, Coagi is generally fearless while Rafiki is more shy and wary. I feed them in separate locations and I haven't seen them bullying each other. Coagi's a voracious eater, Rafiki is a bit more picky but seems to eat fine (she was waiting by her dish this morning).

Any thoughts??? I'm a little worried, especially about Rafiki...she's 13g under the expected weight.

I can also post up their previous meals - I keep a daily record of what they've been fed, and if they were soaked and/or supplemented (Ca only, no vitamins yet).

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
May I suggest you visit the following site....when you have time to sit and really take in all of the information and pics....great stuff;

www.turtletary.com

I have thoroughly read on that site and find it very helpful, some will dispute about the UVB light need, I personally do not have one in the indoor enclosure but that is strictly because I have the new little redfoots I adopted outdoors from am to pm then into their indoor enclosures for the evening and have evening heat lamps for their warmth.....

The two little ones I took in have been with me 9 days today, they are still getting use to life now....so I am cutting them some slack while still making sure they are getting their minimum needs met, after they settle they will flourish...I am sure :p

So, this post will yet again give you another bump :p

Status
Not open for further replies.