Hay Or Moss?

erniethetortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I currently have hay in my herman tortoises enclosure, but it is starting to smell. Would moss be better and what kind?

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
You might not really need hay or moss. Are you using it for the look or are you using it as a substrate of some kind?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Neither hay nor moss is a good substrate.

For a baby hermanni I recommend coco coir. No soil, no sand.

For an adult hermanni I recommend fine grade orchid bark. It can be purchased in bulk from garden centers, but its not usually found at hardware stores.

erniethetortoise

Florida
Neither hay nor moss is a good substrate.

For a baby hermanni I recommend coco coir. No soil, no sand.

For an adult hermanni I recommend fine grade orchid bark. It can be purchased in bulk from garden centers, but its not usually found at hardware stores.
I already have coco coir as my substrate but in the corner of the enclosure there is a pile of hay under the heat lamp where my baby hermann always sleeps

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I already have coco coir as my substrate but in the corner of the enclosure there is a pile of hay under the heat lamp where my baby hermann always sleeps
Your coco coir should be damp. Damp substrate will make hay mold. Hermanni are not grass/hay eaters and the hay is too dry anyway, so it ought to be removed.