hay

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Avoid alphalpha.

Bermuda, timothy, orchard grass are just a few. Mainly for adults. Ideally, they should have free access to hay as well as a yard full of grasses and weeds for grazing. for some, at certain times of the year there is little to graze, so hay is a good thing for them to munch on when natural food is hard to come by. But offer some leafy greens as well.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Mine love Bermuda and orchard grass. We have grass for them to graze on throughout the year, but you can also buy a bermuda grass bale at the feed store and soak some in a bucket at a time and then give it to them. How old is your sulcata?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Damn you beat me to it. :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like the bermuda grass the best, but mine will eat timothy and Orchard grass too. Usually small ones won't eat it, but it doesn't hurt to try. I usually introduce it by grabbing a small bundle in one hand and using some scissors to cut some small pieces on top of their regular food. Just a little at first and more as they get used to it. You can also spray it with a little water and let it rehydrate for a few minutes before feeding it to them.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
All of you that own a MAGIC BULLET...you can chop Zupreem Timothy and Orchard (and most other hays) to practically dust. I've been doing that and they love it...adults and babies.

chadk

10 Year Member!
I think a good amount of long fiber is good though...

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
chadk said:
I think a good amount of long fiber is good though...

I'm talking about chopping it small for babies...just to get them used to the taste...adults I couldn't agree more...long fiber!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
DeanS said:
All of you that own a MAGIC BULLET...you can chop Zupreem Timothy and Orchard (and most other hays) to practically dust. I've been doing that and they love it...adults and babies.

Ha! You think my wife is going to let me use her Magic Bullet to puree tortoise grass!?!

You should see the dirty look I just got.

No thanks, divorce is too expensive.:p

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Tom said:
DeanS said:

Ha! You think my wife is going to let me use her Magic Bullet to puree tortoise grass!?!

You should see the dirty look I just got.

No thanks, divorce is too expensive.:p

My wife bitched about it too, at first! But she came around when she saw the babies eating mini hay.

Status
Not open for further replies.