health question

jader

image.jpg I have this with my tortoise do I need to be worried he's a 10 month old horsefield tortoise

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yes, you need to be worried. Look at his eyes. He's either in a lot of pain or he's really sick. Take him to the vet. The bump is not in the right place to be an ear abscess, but it looks like an abscess. The vet will need to lance it and get the tortoise on an antibiotic regimen.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Yes like Yvonne said get him to a vet. Until then I would make sure he's nice and warm.

— Gus

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Vet ASAP. His eyes are a real clear sign of something bad. Also, maybe it's just the way your hand is holding him, but it looks like his slants upward, which could mean he has MDB... (Metabolic Bone Disorder)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
What kind of heat uv light bulb are you using?

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Yes. The sheer fact that he's lethargic when being picked up and not even fighting is a sign he's unwell. I also think the abscess we're talking about is th elump/bump thing in the lower cheek region? Does his entire head look somewhat swollen to anyone else? the hop of franklin's head is more flat and right above each eye is a slightly raised bump (where the top if the eye socket is), this guys head seems really rounded to me... or is that a normal variation in torts?