Heartbroken and need to vent to ppl who understand

Canadian Mojo

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Sorry guys after being

Sorry I am too I was very upset at the time plus not being familiar with codes it was alot to take in. But it is the walls that is the problem. His house was homemade diy also but basically like a large wooden dog house with slight modifications to fit a tort. From what I've been able to read online outdoor dog areas/enclosures/runs have to be no larger than 100 square feet and chain link type fencing. Which neither will do for a tort. I'm still trying to research it more to try to find a way around it.
So a 'kennel' structure can only be 10x10, but you can let your dog run around a fenced backyard, right?

Make him his 10x10 kennel, with a gate into the fenced yard. Hell, with a proper 'official' enclosure to live in, the low block fence you're currently using might just count as a garden structure/design element.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Yeah that’s what I was thinking. Make a garden wall or some other barrier that does not fit their definition of a structure or kennel. They did not write this ordinance with tortoises in mind and I’m sure there is a loophole there. You need to review the exact wording of whatever code or ordinance applies in this case.

Laura W

Southern CA
I'd do everything I could to keep him hidden until you can figure out a way to comply or during appeal process. If they don't see him, they don't know hes there. They can't go into your garage w/o permission. If not possible, I'd look at foster before rehoming if you want to keep him.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Terrible!!! But there are a number of TFO members who are in Florida, maybe one could foster your Sulcata for a bit. I am assuming that your tort has a fence and a heated night box? Just trying to work around a HOA, he's 80 lbs, so you've had him for a while for him to grow to 80 lbs, the HOA is just now seeing his pen? Maybe somebody complained about the tort?

He said they stayed away from damned HOAs. They royally need to be outlawed anyway.

tortoisenana

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
I agree completely. Why tho I have no idea we're quiet, never been in trouble, our neighbors like us (as far as I know) and they all were amazed with him they thought hes neat. And I spent a good amount of money finishing the outside of the walls with 2x12s etc just to make sure it wasnt an eyesore. And it's not the tort that's the problem nor the fact that it's a tort enclosure it's a 4 walled structure that we did without any permits (didnt know I needed anything like that) but apparently we needed permits, it has to b compliant with hurricane codes and something abt a 4 walled structure needing concrete slab foundation? We avoided HOAs like the plague cuz we mind our business and we didnt want as anyone telling us what to do with our house, lawn/yard etc.. I just got off work so I'm gna look into the codes and how to appeal, price of fence etc. I'm glad u guys all think this is as crazy and ridiculous as I do. He acted like this was all common knowledge. Oh and when I googled it a lil bit on my break. I read this. Let me find out how to post this screenshot. Read definition of animal. This is the kind of ppl we r dealing with. That sentence further ruined my faith in humanity
This doesn't include tortoises ( at least not mine) as they are NOT dumb creatures! If they were we wouldn't need to constantly try to out smart them when they decide they don't want to stay in their enclosure!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Is there a problem with posting pictures so we can see what is there?

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
I am sorry about the county coming after you. I didn't think a tortoise enclosure would be cause for a fine. Some neighbor must be board to call the county on a tortoise. Good luck
Probably all the noise the tort makes. Late night barking and all ! Send a photo of his enclosure

• Haha
Reactions: Ink

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
That's an idea I didnt even know that was a thing , to appeal that is. I'll look into it. I ges I can find some type of defense. I dont think its the "house" as much as the enclosure "walls" the guy was acting like we were building a diy human house or something idk I just read that those plastic sheds u buy at home depot or lowes etc.. well u need a permit to have one so I wouldn't even be surprised if u need one for a doghouse too. Smh
Definitely appeal and get a copy of the regulation and it’s exact wording. Request a copy of the complaint.
Please send photos maybe we can make suggestions

maureen allenza

5 Year Member
A lil background new home owner and sulcata owner. I thought I did everything right I joined this site, did as much research as i cud to give our adopted tortoise a better home than he came from the best we cud. Abt a year later now all is well hes happy and healthy and we love him more everyday. Until Friday when our County code enforcement shows up and let's us know we have until Monday to take down his enclosure. Which no enclosure no tortoise. #1 Hes a member of our family #2 Rehoming a 80lb sulcata cannot b done in 2 days. Rehoming any pet for that matter. With Covid I has lost my job for a while etc so it is not financially possible to fence our property for him, or pay the almost $1000 in fines he listed to us. Nor he can he live on a concrete slab they told us we needed for him. Sorry this is so long I just needed to get it off my chest. I thought I did my homework. This stuff is why we steered clear of HOAs and all that I had no idea. So even if this can help someone else not make the mistakes I did I'll be happy to have some good come of this. Right now I dont know what to do. Thankyou for listening/reading. OP