Heated nightbox

Sterant

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Albany, NY
They can absolutely benefit from one if you are in a situation where the days are acceptable but the nights are a bit too cold. Same as a Sulcata or Leopard. Saves you from bringing them in and out during the transitional seasons.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
It also helps for security from overnight visitors and unwanted guests- 4 legged and 2 legged

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,

Does anyone know if an adult radiated tort would need a heated nightbox like a sulcata and leopard?

Thanks.
Yes. Of course. Why wouldn't they? Mine live outside here with a heated night box. I've even added basking lamps set on timers for cold rainy overcast winter days, but leave those off for most of every year.

tgirl23

Southern California
Yes. Of course. Why wouldn't they? Mine live outside here with a heated night box. I've even added basking lamps set on timers for cold rainy overcast winter days, but leave those off for most of every year.

Well I wasn't sure. I looked up the guide that was listed under Radiated tortoises and there was no mention of one nor is there mention of one on Will's care sheet. I watched his video and he said that they were very tolerant of temperatures. We don't get snow so I wasn't sure if it would be an issue but since they are a non-hibernating species I wanted to make sure.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Well I wasn't sure. I looked up the guide that was listed under Radiated tortoises and there was no mention of one nor is there mention of one on Will's care sheet. I watched his video and he said that they were very tolerant of temperatures. We don't get snow so I wasn't sure if it would be an issue but since they are a non-hibernating species I wanted to make sure.
They are cold tolerant, yes...but I wouldn't mess around below 50f too often. Mine have been outside with me in NY for many years over the summers, but I generally bring them inside if the night will be below 50f. They have been out accidentally (bad weather report) down to 45 but the next day was back up in the high 70's. General rule for me.....They are outside as long as the days are above 70 and the nights are above 50.