Heating and lighting.

Thomas tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
(For my 1 year old tortoise) I still cant get his enclosure heated to the point I need it to be. Its 5'-5' maybe its to big to heat the whole thing with one bulb? I dont have a thermostat on any of the bulbs. Is that the problem? So I already ordered a thermostat and I dont really know how to get it to heat the entire enclosure. Do I put the ceramic heat emitter in the middle really high and then turt it up a lot with the thermostat? Or maybe have two heat lamps? One for basking and one for heating th entire enclosure? (I just dont get it) 🤔

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The only way to achieve this is to cover it.

I have either a CHE or a black light mounted on one end and the day light on the other. Depending upon how cool my house is, the CHE stays on 24/7 but the day light is on a timer to be on for 12 hours a day. My largest indoor COVERED enclosure is almost 4' long and this configuration heats it up nicely with the cover on.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
The only way to achieve this is to cover it.

I have either a CHE or a black light mounted on one end and the day light on the other. Depending upon how cool my house is, the CHE stays on 24/7 but the day light is on a timer to be on for 12 hours a day. My largest indoor COVERED enclosure is almost 4' long and this configuration heats it up nicely with the cover on.
I have a cover on it already and I am using 3 bulbs. One in the corner one on the side and one in the middle. But the cool side with no bulb is 75F. (TO LOW)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is it an air tight cover?