Hello Everyone :)

TankDad

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, TX
This is Tank:
20230801_094830.jpg
Tank walked up to our trailer a few months back and my parents wanted to keep him, do we did. I've always assumed he is a Sulcata, but I've never dealt with any little creatures like him before.

I don't think is doing very well, but now that we moved to a house with a yard I want to make sure he gets what he needs. Firstly, I'd appreciate of anyone could help me figure out if I got it right and he's a Sulcata, I want to know if he brumates, and what temperatures would be right for him.

My parents kind of dumped him on me now and I just want him to be ok, any help is appreciated 👍🏽

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nice looking sulcata. But it's not very nice to keep him unless you have tried to find his owners. Sulcatas are pretty good at busting out of some of the best buildt enclosures. Someone is probably looking for him.
You should be calling vets offices, rescues, pet stores and putting an ad on Craigslist in the area he was found. Then if he is not claimed, he is yours to keep.

TankDad

Houston, TX
Nice looking sulcata. But it's not very nice to keep him unless you have tried to find his owners. Sulcatas are pretty good at busting out of some of the best buildt enclosures. Someone is probably looking for him.
You should be calling vets offices, rescues, pet stores and putting an ad on Craigslist in the area he was found. Then if he is not claimed, he is yours to keep.
Thank you for your reply, we tried asking around the neighborhood( it's a pretty secluded place) and we did put up a post in the local lost pets Facebook page, but no one reached out to us :(
It's been a few months already

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi, please try to find the owner. If you can not please read the following...
Tank will become a tank so will need the correct enclosure, heat, good diet, uvb, calcium and water and a soak if possible.
It will not brumate as this is a species from Africa and they do not need that. So it will need heat and lights, food, water and love 365 days if the year.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome to you and Tank.
As well as the link Sarah posted above also read the Information for new members thread which will explain about heating, lighting, diet, substrates etc and will certainly help you meet Tank's needs so that he thrives. Please also ask as many questions as you like - everyone here has the best interests of torts at heart and are happy to help. You'll not find any better care advice anywhere else.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is Tank:
View attachment 365503
Tank walked up to our trailer a few months back and my parents wanted to keep him, do we did. I've always assumed he is a Sulcata, but I've never dealt with any little creatures like him before.

I don't think is doing very well, but now that we moved to a house with a yard I want to make sure he gets what he needs. Firstly, I'd appreciate of anyone could help me figure out if I got it right and he's a Sulcata, I want to know if he brumates, and what temperatures would be right for him.

My parents kind of dumped him on me now and I just want him to be ok, any help is appreciated 👍🏽
Hello and welcome. Tank is indeed a sulcata and he's large enough to live outdoors in a large enclosure with a heated night box. If he's not doing well it is likely because he is too cold. They need to be kept no lower than 80 degrees at night, and they need to be able to warm up during the day. If its not sunny and warm outside, you need to provide a warm area for him.

Here are two examples of night boxes with safe and effective heating strategies:

Questions are welcome.