Hello Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Crews

5 Year Member
Hello everyone. My name is William and I just bought a baby sulcata. I bought a setup for him/her and got a list of do's and dont's from the pet store owner. First off this little guy is so cool, I'm very surprised at his personality, he is great. Now I'm the kind of person who questions everything so I hit the internet and tried to get as much information on caring for this little guy. I am amazed at the amount of information on this forum and equally amazed at how far off the pet store owner was on his care instructions. Yesterday with the help of this forum I set up a larger more suitable place for the little guy to explore and not be so bored. They set me up with a 10 gallon aquarium, not good. Well that's all for now. Thanks for the advise and I look forward to reading all your thoughts and ideas.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi William:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know where you are?

After you've become accustomed to our format and are able to navigate around with ease, I'd love to see how you've set your little guy up, and the tortoise too, of course!!

William Crews

5 Year Member
Thanks for the welcome. I live in El Paso, Texas. I will try to post a couple pictures of the set up I made. I hope it works. I understand this is still to small but its way better than his 10 gallon fish tank that the pet store sold me. Its more than double that size. I need to photo(6).JPGphoto(5).JPGphoto(2).jpgrearrange my office to build a suitable table for him. The last picture is of him helping me with my Calculus 3 homework. He is wicked smart!!!!!:D

Last edited by a moderator:

FranklinTturtle

5 Year Member
Myrtle Beach SC
Hi William you did the right thing finding the forum. My poor Franklin T. was raised on pet store advise for 2 1/2 years. There is alot of good people here sharing great advise.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
Welcome to the forum you are at the right place:D Thank the LORD. :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Welcome! :D Just curious, besides the tank, what else did the pet store tell you wrong about?

William Crews

5 Year Member
Jacqui, the pet store told me that they were desert animals so hydration wasn't an issue, he had a tortoise with pyramiding and told me that was a sought after trait and rare so I should buy that one. I would have bought it except it wasn't a baby and I wanted to raise one from the beginning. He told me that I should use alfalfa pellets for bedding because it would double as food. I cant remember what else because I have read so much information while doing research that some of it is a blur. What I am positive of is that I am hooked. I dont know if its because I feed him but he seems social and inquisitive. I am a college student (40 years old) and his set up is right next to my desk in my office so I play with him throughout the day. I am blown away with the personality of this little guy and I want to keep him happy and healthy. My biggest fear is doing something thinking its what he needs only to find out its hurting him. So I continue to research and go over the thoughts and experiences of you good people.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
College at 40... what are you studying... if I may ask.

William Crews

5 Year Member
I am a Mathematics major with a secondary in Education. I have been a hydraulic mechanic and an industrial air compressor technician and an electronic technician for the last 20 years but I was getting sick of breaking my fingers and being sore all the time so I thought I could get paid to use my mind instead of my back. I am a 4.0 student and I transfer to the University of Texas next semester. Its been pretty exciting so far.

PEEEETE

5 Year Member
Vacaville, CA
Welcome, Will. This place is an amazing source of information for new owners. I had very similar circumstances when I got my baby sully, but with the knowledge and experience of Tom and many of the other wonderful people on here, I'm happy to say that Pepé is a happy little baby, and growing fast. I went through 3 different enclosures before settling on what I have now, BTW.

Your tort is very cute, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.