Hello from Florida & Tortoise ID !

Hagapi

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hello ! I recently noticed a small tortoise on my property. I live in south FL and have quite a few native gopher tortoises living here and assumed it was a new gopher until I took a closer look. It has a red spot of paint on it & seems like someone may have dropped it off. I was told it was a Sulcata which id like to possibly adopt one in the future so that'd be great but after searching the internet thought maybe it looked like a Russian? It's been pushing around the other tortoises and sharing their burrows. Some clarity would be great! I believe its been here a couple months already. whatever species it is, would it be able to thrive if left alone to live on property or will it eventually need more specialized care? Thanks !20190216_213444.jpg 20190215_104246.jpg 20190215_104301.jpg

Attachments

• 20190215_104312.jpg
    20190215_104312.jpg
    666.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20190215_104321.jpg
    20190215_104321.jpg
    678.4 KB · Views: 30

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome I wish I knew. Still learning myself. Somebody will see your thread. To give you advice.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Russian tortoises are very aggressive.
He will probably end up wounding one of those Gophers....Or worse. He's not actually sharing the burrows. He will endlessly bully the Gophers.
It needs to be isolated and removed.
Hey ZEROPILOT don't you need a rescue ;)?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Well what a little turd! Just move in someone else’s house and push them around:-(. Sounds like he needs a keeper!! Good luck, weather you find his old home or have just acquired a new pet... let us know how it turns out:)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That's a Russian Tortoise. Probably an escaped pet.

Hagapi

Florida
He will probably end up wounding one of those Gophers....Or worse. He's not actually sharing the burrows. He will endlessly bully the Gophers.
Thank you ! I don't want that & will definitely isolate him today so he doesn't continue to stress the other tortoises

Hagapi

Florida
Well what a little turd! Just move in someone else’s house and push them around:-(. Sounds like he needs a keeper!! Good luck, weather you find his old home or have just acquired a new pet... let us know how it turns out:)
He is! Little feisty guy. We'll put him in a pinned area today & hope to find his home or new home soon

Hagapi

Florida
It is a Russian tortoise. Try to find out if anyone in the neighborhood is missing a tortoise.
We'll keep looking but i live in a bit of a wooded rural area and unfortunately people do use it to drop off unwanted animals. They usually come to live with me :cool:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yup, Russian. He needs to NOT be allowed to run loose. If you can't find his owners, can't keep him, then turn him in to animal control.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, and Welcome to the Forum!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Sorry ZEROPILOT I keep thinking you live in south Florida

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hey ZEROPILOT don't you need a rescue ;)?
I had an experience with a Russian tortoise about 25, 26 years ago.
I babysat my brothers. I placed him in with my Redfoot tortoises that where all 3 times his size and he proceeded to terrorize the group.
I only "do" Redfoot.
I don't like stress.