Hello from Ponte Vedra Beach FL - new member, no tortoise

bgbunting

Location (City and/or State)
Ponte Vedra Beach FL
Hello Everyone - I signed up a few days ago and wanted to get active. I'm in the early stages of deciding when and what kind of tortoise we should add to the family.
Currently I'm leaning towards Greek, Red Foot or Leopard. We have a plenty of space in the backyard for it to live outside and plus its hot and humid in Florida. Safest bet seems to be a Greek.

The other decision is if we're going to get a baby or adopt. I would love to find a friend needing to be rehomed, but not sure how likely we'll come across one. I've started calling local pet stores to see if they have people looking to rehome.
Excited to be apart of this community - even if we don't have a tortoise yet :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. The Redfoot or the leopard would probably do really well and possibly better than a Greek. The Redfoot would be much easier to find in FL as a juvie or adult. There are a few up for adoption now and often.
Good luck and don't forget to read our carsheets and ask questions if you have any.

bgbunting

Ponte Vedra Beach FL
Hello and Welcome. The Redfoot or the leopard would probably do really well and possibly better than a Greek. The Redfoot would be much easier to find in FL as a juvie or adult. There are a few up for adoption now and often.
Good luck and don't forget to read our carsheets and ask questions if you have any.
Thanks so much - I was wondering if Greeks would be easier bc they can hibernate through the cold month up near Jacksonville. The Red foots seemed more fun since they love the moisture (which we have plenty of here)!
and for the Leopard - would one tear up the lawn real bad? i know they don't dig like a sulcata but i assume they could still ruin the grass. if i plan to let it have majority or all of backyard.

Ill be sure to read the care sheets!

bgbunting

Ponte Vedra Beach FL
There are a zillion redfoots needing homes in Florida, please consider getting a rescue
Thx thats great to hear. the reason i was considering Greek over redfoots was bc it seemed the greek could hibernate outside through colder months in N. FL but the redfoot would need to come inside. Plus their diet and moisture needs seemed more complex. They actually sounded more fun but i wanted to consider starting with the potentially more simple option. but again, ive only been studying the last couple weeks so its all new :)

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome to the forum. Great to see you are doing your homework. Before you get a tortoise.
A rescue would be great.

Reactions: Ink

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Hey! Have you already checked these out:

If I were you, I would focus on the differences of these three species especially on these points:
  • Space requirements: Greeks need the least amount of space. Overall they will stay smaller as a species. How much space can you provide indoors and out? (even with the Greek you need a backup plan of indoor keeping, sick tortoises can't be brumated for example)
  • Difference in diet: Redfoots require more protein and are a fruit eating species. They need animal protein in their diets. Greeks and Leopards are both herbivores, but Leopards are hay/grass eating species, while Greeks aren't. What kind of grazing area can you provide? Where do you get your food during the winter to provide enough variety?
  • Heating: Redfoots aren't a basking species. Greek tortoises can endure some drops in the night temps. etc. etc. How much sun does your yard get? What areas get the most sun and when?
Also, have you decided on whether you want an adult or a hatchling?

bgbunting

Ponte Vedra Beach FL
Hey! Have you already checked these out:

If I were you, I would focus on the differences of these three species especially on these points:
  • Space requirements: Greeks need the least amount of space. Overall they will stay smaller as a species. How much space can you provide indoors and out? (even with the Greek you need a backup plan of indoor keeping, sick tortoises can't be brumated for example)
  • Difference in diet: Redfoots require more protein and are a fruit eating species. They need animal protein in their diets. Greeks and Leopards are both herbivores, but Leopards are hay/grass eating species, while Greeks aren't. What kind of grazing area can you provide? Where do you get your food during the winter to provide enough variety?
  • Heating: Redfoots aren't a basking species. Greek tortoises can endure some drops in the night temps. etc. etc. How much sun does your yard get? What areas get the most sun and when?
Also, have you decided on whether you want an adult or a hatchling?
Thx @The_Four_Toed_Edward - very helpful. I'll get reading.
Space - I have a large backyard that gets full sun all day (see image). There is landscaping so there is places for shade. For the Greek I was planning to create a large section of the yard for him. For a redfoot I was considering creating him a house/dedidated shade/water spots, but letting him have free range of backyard (its all enclosed).
Diet - The grazing area is st. augustine grass, torpedo grass, plus typical weeds that grow in FL. i would then supplement with added diets as you detailed above.
Heating - The yard gets incredible sun so they would have as much heat as they needed. Even in winter we have lots of sun, but the temp can get low. Ideally the plan is to build a winter house for them (heated etc...) so they can be outdoors 24/7 but still stay warm. but im still learning about all that.

let me know if you see any immediate red flags.

Attachments

• image_123650291.JPG
    image_123650291.JPG
    263.6 KB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello Everyone - I signed up a few days ago and wanted to get active. I'm in the early stages of deciding when and what kind of tortoise we should add to the family.
Currently I'm leaning towards Greek, Red Foot or Leopard. We have a plenty of space in the backyard for it to live outside and plus its hot and humid in Florida. Safest bet seems to be a Greek.

The other decision is if we're going to get a baby or adopt. I would love to find a friend needing to be rehomed, but not sure how likely we'll come across one. I've started calling local pet stores to see if they have people looking to rehome.
Excited to be apart of this community - even if we don't have a tortoise yet :)
Hello and welcome.

1. Greek would be fine, but you'll need a fridge for brumation. Your winter temps are too warm and to inconsistent to do it outside there. A hermmani would be even better and more tolerant of the humidity.
2. Many people in the southeast report problems with regular leopards and respiratory infections. It seems most likely due to colder temps with high humidity, but that isn't always the case in the multiple cases I've talked with people about. I'd skip those if I were you. If you really want a leopard, get a genuine South African leopard. They are much hardier, and they handle the cold and the humidity just fine. Go to @Rodriguez Chelonians if you want one. They start them right and they are terrific people.
3. RF will be fine in your area. A large heated night box or shed will get them through your short winter cold spells and colder winter nights. The likelihood of getting a free one in FL is high, and these are very personable, hardy, easy to keep, fun tortoises.
4. Other species to consider: 1. Indotestudo elongata. Elongated tortoises are super cool and great for your climate too. Similar to RFs in many ways. 2. Burmese stars. Beautiful, personable, hardy, and they all get along with each other. You can mix the sexes as adults and no fighting even with multiple males. 3. Manouria, cool tortoises and they like humid climates. A nice choice if you want a big tortoise.

It is fantastic that you are looking into all these questions ahead of time, and you have found the right place for good care info. So much of the info out there on FB and YT, from pet stores, vets and books is just wrong. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you want. We are all here to talk tortoises.

bgbunting

Ponte Vedra Beach FL
Hello and welcome.

1. Greek would be fine, but you'll need a fridge for brumation. Your winter temps are too warm and to inconsistent to do it outside there. A hermmani would be even better and more tolerant of the humidity.
2. Many people in the southeast report problems with regular leopards and respiratory infections. It seems most likely due to colder temps with high humidity, but that isn't always the case in the multiple cases I've talked with people about. I'd skip those if I were you. If you really want a leopard, get a genuine South African leopard. They are much hardier, and they handle the cold and the humidity just fine. Go to @Rodriguez Chelonians if you want one. They start them right and they are terrific people.
3. RF will be fine in your area. A large heated night box or shed will get them through your short winter cold spells and colder winter nights. The likelihood of getting a free one in FL is high, and these are very personable, hardy, easy to keep, fun tortoises.
4. Other species to consider: 1. Indotestudo elongata. Elongated tortoises are super cool and great for your climate too. Similar to RFs in many ways. 2. Burmese stars. Beautiful, personable, hardy, and they all get along with each other. You can mix the sexes as adults and no fighting even with multiple males. 3. Manouria, cool tortoises and they like humid climates. A nice choice if you want a big tortoise.

It is fantastic that you are looking into all these questions ahead of time, and you have found the right place for good care info. So much of the info out there on FB and YT, from pet stores, vets and books is just wrong. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you want. We are all here to talk tortoises.

bgbunting

Ponte Vedra Beach FL
Thanks @Tom - that was super helpful. I've been busy reading all the care sheets.

My goal is to find the breed that is best suited for North East Florida life. I was looking at historical highs and low temperatures through the winter months, and its typically high of 63 and low of 50 to 53. We only get below 40 maybe a few times a year for a night at a time. Your recommendation of an elongated tortoise might be the best fit.

I'm hoping to start with an juvenile or adult for my first tortoise so that might be a little tricky with species other than redfoots (since they seem to be the ones most likely to adoopt) but ill do some more digging around the other breeds you recommended. If I can keep them outside year round in weather that is safe and enjoyable for them - that is the goal!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks @Tom - that was super helpful. I've been busy reading all the care sheets.

My goal is to find the breed that is best suited for North East Florida life. I was looking at historical highs and low temperatures through the winter months, and its typically high of 63 and low of 50 to 53. We only get below 40 maybe a few times a year for a night at a time. Your recommendation of an elongated tortoise might be the best fit.

I'm hoping to start with an juvenile or adult for my first tortoise so that might be a little tricky with species other than redfoots (since they seem to be the ones most likely to adoopt) but ill do some more digging around the other breeds you recommended. If I can keep them outside year round in weather that is safe and enjoyable for them - that is the goal!
Species. Not breeds. These are all different species. "Breeds" are different variations of the same domesticated species like dogs or chickens or cattle. We are talking about entirely different species here.

Even in their native countries, the weather isn't always perfect. We just have to help them through the cold spells with a heated shelter. Here are two examples. These both use safe and effective heating strategies, and adults of any of the species we mentioned would be fine living outside year round in your climate with a shelter like this for night time, and the odd cold winter day:

For smaller species like stars or Testudo, I will add a basking bulb on a timer to be used on cold, overcast days when I want them to be able to warm up above ambient temperature.