Hello from Southern California

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Just wanted to introduce myself.

I am dedicated to giving my little Leopard Tortoise the best life possible. This forum has been an amazing source for me to give my little guy just what he needs.

Oswald loves to eat grass, dandelion leaves, mustard greens, and he LOVES the tortoise hay from tortoisesupply.com. I like to sprinkle the tortoise hay over his grass/greens mixture (this is the first thing he goes for in his bowl). I'm currently growing mustard greens, dandelion, clover, grass, and hibiscus for him to munch on to avoid having to go "shop" for his food. I also give him a few Mazuri pellets, softened, in addition to the above list & have grazing tortoise seed on order as well. I would love to grow the grazing mix in his outdoor enclosure!

He also loves his soaks and to run around outside with EXTREMELY close supervision. He does not leave our sight for one second. I understand they can slip away easily and they are crafty escape artists.

We are going to build him an outdoor enclosure; just doing research to see what the best fit for our space will be before we attack that project. It needs to be mobile/off the ground. For now we will let him enjoy the rays of the sun under our close watch.

I am so excited to have this little guy in my life. <3

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Oswald's Mommy and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Oswald from Tidgy's Daddy.
A pretty looking tortoise.:)
Very important that his humidity is kept high at this age. (as i'm sure you've read).

Southern California
Hello, Oswald's Mommy and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Oswald from Tidgy's Daddy.
A pretty looking tortoise.:)
Very important that his humidity is kept high at this age. (as i'm sure you've read).
Thank you! We think he's gorgeous.

Yes we are working on getting his enclosure turned into a closed system, as Tom has suggested.

Lu_x85

Hello and welcome from a fellow newbie! What a gorgeous little tort Oswald is!

:<3::tort:

Southern California
Hi guys, quick question...

I am having a hard time keeping up the humidity in Oswald's tank, thank you dry so cal...I know his substrate is wrong (I was given misinformation that I now realize could harm my little guy) and I am wanting to change it out to something that will help to hold in the humidity better. I have reptibark in there now, but wanted to change it to a coco choir mix. I bought some organic sphagnum moss that I was going to use in his humid hide but it was not what I expected. I was thinking it would be tan, mossy looking stuff and I ended up with stuff that looks like soil. I was wondering, though, if I could use this mixed with coco choir for his new all-over substrate. Let me know what you would recommend. I would like to be able to use the soil-looking peat moss if possible because it is sitting on my patio useless at the moment. I have shown pics below of what it looks like in case I haven't described it well. Thanks in advance for your advise.

Attachments

• IMG_3028.JPG
    IMG_3028.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3029.JPG
    IMG_3029.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 12

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Just wanted to introduce myself.

I am dedicated to giving my little Leopard Tortoise the best life possible. This forum has been an amazing source for me to give my little guy just what he needs.

Oswald loves to eat grass, dandelion leaves, mustard greens, and he LOVES the tortoise hay from tortoisesupply.com. I like to sprinkle the tortoise hay over his grass/greens mixture (this is the first thing he goes for in his bowl). I'm currently growing mustard greens, dandelion, clover, grass, and hibiscus for him to munch on to avoid having to go "shop" for his food. I also give him a few Mazuri pellets, softened, in addition to the above list & have grazing tortoise seed on order as well. I would love to grow the grazing mix in his outdoor enclosure!

He also loves his soaks and to run around outside with EXTREMELY close supervision. He does not leave our sight for one second. I understand they can slip away easily and they are crafty escape artists.

We are going to build him an outdoor enclosure; just doing research to see what the best fit for our space will be before we attack that project. It needs to be mobile/off the ground. For now we will let him enjoy the rays of the sun under our close watch.

I am so excited to have this little guy in my life. <3

A very warm welcome to the forum!:D

Please post pics of your tort and his enclosure. and read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread.

Take care when your tort is roaming around. I for one take Oli :<3: for "walks" outside (due to the fact that I live in a flat). He really does enjoy it. I literally bodyguard him! ;)