Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I was pointed in this direction by a friend who finds your forum very helpful and informative, so I thought I'd give it a try. I have to admit, I'm used to posting on the YAHOOgroups and this type of forum (Tortoise Forum.org) is hard for me to understand. I'm just used to clicking "next" and the next message pops up. I still haven't figured out how to use this forum, but I'm sure it will come in time.

I have been operating a turtle and tortoise rescue for about the past 25 or 30years. I have appx. 75 of my own turtles and tortoises, and get about 100 or so RES, male CDT, sulcata, box turtles, etc. through here to adopt out every year. Winters are slow for rescues, but I'm very busy during the warm weather looking for homes for my rescues.

My own collection consists of a 100lb Sulcata (Dudley), two 5 year old Aldabrans about 60lbs each, some Russians, some leopards, some box turtles (all kinds), some Burmese tortoises and a pond full of water turtles.

So, I'm glad to be here and I hope we learn from each other!

Yvonne

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Wow Yvonne - that is quite a collection you have! Where are you located?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Welcome, which subspecie of burmeses due you have?

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Welcome Yvonne! Great to have you here, Im sure you will be a great asset to our little community. You can cruise through and browse each group of posts to get used to the site and then each time you come here you can click on *view new posts* up at the top of the page on the left and find all the new posts since your last visit. Its really simple that way.

You can post your adoptions in the adoption ads located towards the bottom of the page as well. I personally am always looking for more Box Turtles, any except Ornates which are protected here in WI. I am also always looking for Leopard torts, Hermanns torts, Golden Greeks(females) and Redfoots. :) Great to have you here!

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
welcome to the site yvonne!
let me know if you want me to remove the "@pacbell.net" from your username. [sometimes folks mistakenly enter their email address. dont worry, it happens a lot]
if you have any other questions, feel free to email me at [email protected]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
jlyoncc1 said:
Wow Yvonne - that is quite a collection you have! Where are you located?

I'm in Central California, Clovis. Pretty nice year-round weather, but a bit on the cold side during the winter months.

Itort said:
Welcome, which subspecie of burmeses due you have?

I have 1.3 Mep, 1.1 Mee and 6 intergrade male Mee/Mep.

spikethebest said:
hey i would love to see some pics of your Aldabras.

I'm not sure how to post pictures yet, but when I figure it out I'll be happy to put up some Aldabran photos.

Yvonne

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
you can go to tinypic.com, upload the pics there and copy and paste the links on here. let me know if you need any help at all.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
[

I don't get it...I have surfed through other topics on this forum and see where people have included pictures with their posts and the pictures are nice and big. While mine is just a thumbnail. Can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Yvonne

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
if you click on the thumbnail, it shows up nice and big for me!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
spikethebest said:
you can go to tinypic.com, upload the pics there and copy and paste the links on here. let me know if you need any help at all.

Here's a shot of both of the Aldabrans from early last year. One is about 50lbs and the other is a little over 60lbs. Without going back into their records I'm guessing they're about 6 years old now.
[img=640x480]http://i30.tinypic.com/2mqrtp5.jpg[/img]

Yvonne

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Wow Yvonne, they are huge! I can't even imagine when my sulcatas get big and walking around like that. Also, FYI, I am thinking of taking some eastern box this summer. They are native here in NJ and do well.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Great pics Yvonne and lovely tortoises! Thanks so much for sharing. One of these days, when I decide to actually put roots down in one place I want Aldabs.

*coming from the girl that was born with sand in her shoes.....

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Welcome Yvonne, Your pictures are coming through fine. What lovely BIG torts.:p I am sure you will be a welcomed asset and have wealth of information to share.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Your burmese is beatiful. Now I know what to look forward to. I have a 9 month old and am getting more come spring. I'm really impressed by mine, it's turned into a little begger.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Itort said:
Your burmese is beatiful. Now I know what to look forward to. I have a 9 month old and am getting more come spring. I'm really impressed by mine, it's turned into a little begger.

Yes, the Burmese are my favorite of all the turtles and tortoises that I keep. I don't treat my tortoises as pets, and try to put the food down when they are not looking, so they don't get to associate me with the food, but the Burmese have seen right through that scam, and chase me all over the yard when I'm in there. (for "chase" read lumbering slowly!) A little over 10 years ago, while all of my Burmese were living in the same enclosure, I had an accidental breeding between the two species which resulted in 50 eggs. 19 of them hatched. I have since separated them, and have not had any more breeding luck with either group.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.