Hello

Sarahnelson1898

Hey, I'm sarah
I came across a sulcata tortoise yesterday when I was driving home from school. I fell in love with him and decided to keep him. So I brought him to my local reptile store and they told me he was about a year old, I purchased a heat lamp, uvb light, and a large tank. I feed him some romaine lettuce and cucumbers. What are some tips?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
hi Sarah, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm sorry that you have already spent money on this tortoise, because it's not yours yet! Can you imagine how heart-broken some poor kid is because the garbage man left the gate open and his loved pet escaped the yard? Unless you live in Africa, the tortoise you found belongs to someone else. They paid good money for it and have cared for it lovingly. Please put up fliers on the utility poles in the neighborhood where you found the tortoise. Also, "Found" ads are free in the newspaper, and you can also put up a craigslist found ad. Do the right thing, Sarah. Then, after a couple weeks of trying, if you still have the tortoise, good job. At least you tried, and you can keep him with a clear conscience.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
First Welcome to the forum. This may be a lost pet. I would post Craigslist ad and post some flyers. These guys are escape artists, and I would be devastated to lose one of mine. To never know what happened to him would be awful.
Second in the Sulcata section is a care guide with lots of diet options. What you listed is not healthy.

Sarahnelson1898

Well clearly either way this guy will be with me for at least a few days/ few weeks. What should I feed him, what are the healthiest and most nutritious options? Any suggestions on care?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They eat grass and weeds. But since yours is smaller, you can buy grocery store greens for him - endive, escarole, turnip greens, etc. And to that pick some grape leaves, mulberry leaves, dandelions, etc. Also, give him a good soak daily. There's no telling how long he's been without water. Put him into a tub of shallow water and leave him there for about 15 minutes each day.

We have good care sheets pinned a the top of our Sulcata section.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hi and welcome from the Desert !
m0754.gif

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I second the need to look for the owner before you make too many plans. Grass and weeds from a pesticide free yard, or dandelions and cactus pads from the grocer will be good foods to hold you over until you have find the owner.

Are you 100% sure you found a sulcata? Young tortoises can often look quite similar to the untrained eye. If you post a photo here, forum members can confirm the species you've found. Pet stores don't always have the best know-how when it comes to tortoises.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome. How about a photo.
I'm thinking that there is a good chance that the pet shop employee is incorrect about the tortoise I.D.
If we can identify the breed, it would be of tremendous help.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Sarah, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Asking as local vets and rescue centres is also a good idea, as people will sometimes go to these places if they've lost a pet.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and, assuming it is a sulcata http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
as well as http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
for lots of good care information.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
No, they have trouble sleeping with light on all the time. When light is off a ceramic heat emitter(Che) should be on. Don't let him get under 80f degrees. Important: Your light should NOT be one of the coil varieties....

Alaskamike

South Florida
That is a Sulcata
When you soak him put him in a pan of water about 1/2 way up his shell
Should be warm - not hot ( about 90-95f )

Investing in a later heat gun ( about $15 at Home Depot) is a great help. You can check water temps, temps on the shell under a heat source , and other areas of your tank.

There is a good thread called " beginner mistakes ". That would help

They need their environment to be warm - 80f - and humid. There are many ways to do this , read the care threads.

Important safeguards are listed there , as well as in stickys the top of the Sulcata section.

Good fortune with him.

Sarahnelson1898

I would have an outside environment for him but unfortunately I live in Minnesota so it's going to be below zero soon :(