Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donivers4

5 Year Member
Hello everyone. My name is Don, I live in Grand Rapids, MI, I am a new owner looking for some advice. This past weekend I purchased a a Homes Hingeback. Her name is Sally. I have had troubles getting her to eat and keeping the humidity high in the enclosure. I am using a coconut husk substrate which I soak every 3-4 days. I am currently trying to get her to eat sweet potatoes, mushrooms and earlier today, I found out she likes banana. The temperature in the enclosure is always between 75-80 depending on the time of day. Just ask if you need anymore information. Thanks in advance. (P.s. I was going to upload pictures of Sally but in all honesty, I couldn't figure out how :/ )

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Don, and welcome to the Forum!

We have a few Hingeback keepers here on the forum. I'm sure one of them will some on and give you some help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

To post pics go to tinypic.com. Upload any size photo and then copy paste the IMG code into your forum post. Very easy. No accounts or hassles. Just a free, easy to use site.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi Don! A hingeback, how awesome!! While she likes the banana and it's good to use to get her eating, becareful that in the long run she does not get hooked on them. Papaya, manago, strawberries, just about all fruits are good to tempt them with. Also keep trying on a bit of cur up greens. Usually coated with a fruit helps. Baby food can be good for that. Many folks also have luck using a little Mazuri in addition to the fresh foods. I suggest placing the food dish next to her hide.

Is she is a really busy and noisey area? It's a good idea to atleast til she settles in give her some peace and quiet, which also means no frequent peeks at her, which is hard to do. Do you have a light on her? If so for how long and how bright of one? Can you let one side of her enclosure get just a little cooler? Homes and erosa hingebacks tend to like things a tad cooler then most tortoises. She does have a deep dish for soaking in, where the water will reach about where her two shells meet, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.