Help am confused

stacy@

I have read that hermanns only need a basking light not a uv but then also seen that they need both help

spanna

I've been advised that they need a UVB light but do not use a coil type bulb as they are bad for their eyes. And a a basking light too, I only went too my local pet store and told me to get a 50watt day light as the red basking lights are only good for lizards and snakes. But I'm still learning too and a lot of people on here have many different methods. Hope that helped.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
A mvb heat and uv basking bulb works great. Something like a powersun bulb will give you both. Your tortoise needs both plus calcium to not develop mbd. If he spends anytime outside, even a half hour a day in the sun, you do not need the uv light inside. But still need the heat for your tort to be able to process food.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQDJK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Stacey welcome to the TFO from AZ . It would help if we knew were you live . I have Herrmanns so your advise is pet shops want to make profits we want the torts happy ! And I don't us UV bulbs but my Herrmanns are outside year around ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408892394.413003.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hello, Stacy. I have 2 Hermann's tortoises. They're kept indoors, most of the year, so they need both lights. I have a linear UVB light and a basking light. UVB (ultraviolet B) is essential is the production of vitamin-D3. D3 is a hormone--not a vitamin, as the name suggests!--that just about all animals need for calcium uptake, among many other important functions in the body.

Depending on where you live, natural UVB is only available for short periods during daylight hours and only during spring and summer months.

Now, there are several kinds of light bulbs. Some are a combo of UVB + heat. I personally like to have them separate. So if you already have a basking light, just add a UVB unit. Just make sure it's NOT a coil bulb, as there have been too many reported issues with them. Do a forum search for "coil bulb" to read discussions on it.

Good luck!

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

ditzyangeluk

Sudbury, Suffolk, UK
I am in the UK too and I have a UVB strip light, and a spotlight for basking. UK weather is not always reliable, as we know, so I only put the strip light on when I am unable to put them outside in the daytime