Help ASAP Please. Is my tortoise dead?

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
I am so sorry this happened, have you tried to offer him food? I, too, don't believe he's dead. It might just be the stress. Can you try to open his mouth? If you can, you may want to try to see if you can get him to cough out some water. :( I'm truly sorry.
His head is well tucked away :(
I don't think that his head was in the water though. I just want him to get better :( It's all my fault, I should have got a shallower water dish :(

GingerLove

5 Year Member
It's not your fault, it could have happened to anyone. :( You said you made sure the dish was shallow. Nobody expects their tortoise to flip in the water. How long has he been tucked away?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
It's not your fault, it could have happened to anyone. :( You said you made sure the dish was shallow. Nobody expects their tortoise to flip in the water. How long has he been tucked away?
That is so true: it could happen to ANYONE.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Well this morning at around 6:55 I found him and immediately picked him up and shocked him. He wasn't responding so I put him under his log and I was relieved when I saw him stretch his legs out. I have been at school all day so I don't know how long but I'm guessing it has been all day as he was still under the log all tucked up when I got home. His legs are now fully tucked in. :(

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Well this morning at around 6:55 I found him and immediately picked him up and shocked him. He wasn't responding so I put him under his log and I was relieved when I saw him stretch his legs out. I have been at school all day so I don't know how long but I'm guessing it has been all day as he was still under the log all tucked up when I got home. His legs are now fully tucked in. :(
Fingers crossed: I'm hoping he will be fine .

GingerLove

5 Year Member
There is still a chance. I don't know if you've read the other posts, but I think it was Zero-pilot who said that his tortoise appeared dead for an entire day (he even touched it's eye) and it came back to life the next day. He said that tortoises can go into a comma like state sometimes. Don't give up just yet. I'll be praying for your little tortoise. God cares too. :) And if the head comes out and is limp... that's a bad sign.
And it could too have happened at a pet shop!! Stop blaming yourself!!!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
So am I.
He has only been with me a short while. I'm starting to think he'd be better off at the pet shop. At least them this wouldn't have happened :(
He might NOT have been better off at a pet shop: GOD only knows how these little animals get treated-or rather mistreated by some. Please please calm down.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Dead tortoises don't stay tucked in like that. Scared tortoises do. Put the lights back on the way they were and leave him be. Stars tend to be very shy. They will stay tucked up like that for hours sometimes.

What type of water bowl are you using?

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Dead tortoises don't stay tucked in like that. Scared tortoises do. Put the lights back on the way they were and leave him be. Stars tend to be very shy. They will stay tucked up like that for hours sometimes.

What type of water bowl are you using?
I have a terracotta saucer. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467922745.534470.jpg

The thing that worries me was the fact that he doesn't respond.

I will look for a shallower dish and for in mean time, should I add some stones to the bottom?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
By the way, I would like to ask a question here because it is relevant to this thread. Can a tortoise right itself if it is upside down on a flat surface, water or not? And will it, if water is present, try to use its head to right itself and thus get water down into its lungs because it is submerging its head?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

Hope to hear that your cute little tort is well SOON! :<3:

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
By the way, I would like to ask a question here because it is relevant to this thread. Can a tortoise right itself if it is upside down on a flat surface, water or not? And will it, if water is present, try to use its head to right itself and thus get water down into its lungs because it is submerging its head?
By the look of it, neither of my tortoises can. Mine are both young though. From what I've heard, they will learn to right themselves.

As for the water one... I don't know. I am pretty sure they will try and hold their head out.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal

Depends on the tort. Some easily right themselves on a flat service while others cannot. Hatchlings tend to have a particularly difficult time flipping back over.

Are you suggesting that this young tort may have drowned trying to right himself with its head? Seems logical, albeit very sad. :(