help (Asian box turtle)

newbietort

Hiya I'm very new to the world of tortoises but seem to have been given one today and could not refuse it I'm in the uk and its a Asian box turtle the Viv it's in is wooden 4ft long with a water tray about 3 inch deep at one end with a heat mat under wood chippens and red basking light at the other end can anyone shed some light on a good care sheet or any info please about temp diet etc etc thanks any help would be brilliant thanks

newbietort

Thanks for the care sheet can I ask do you have a heat pad in the viv under the subtrate and is this kept on 24/7 and also I couldn't find night time temps anywhere is it ok to turn the red basking light off and heat pad off at night if I run a 12 on 12 off routine thanks

newbietort

I have been given a 1year old turtle maybe a bit older and want to make sure evertything in the viv is setup right it's an Asian box turtle in a 4 ft viv with heat pad under wood chip substrate red heat basking bulb one end and a tray with water the other end a couple of inches deep is there any need for this heat pad to be on 24/7 I thought it was a bit dangerous for the turtle

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
4 turtles and tortoises keep pads are not the best way to go the way they're designed a overhead heat source is best

newbietort

Thanks will buy this bulb today for it and what about night time is it safe to have a night time drop in temp like in the wild

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks will buy this bulb today for it and what about night time is it safe to have a night time drop in temp like in the wild
How big is the temp drop?
A lot of us use a ceramic heat emitter CME to give off heat with no light.
I don't, since my temps never fall far below 77(ish)

newbietort

It would be around 75f without anyheat for 12 hours I was asked to look after him yesterday so I agreed a couple of hours later I was told I can have it they don't want it back never had a turtle before but I keep chameleons so just trying to get things sorted today

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
75 wouldn't be too low every now and then, but it would seriously slow down digestion and could, over time be an issue. Just tweaking it up to 80 would be a much better idea.
Hopefully someone else will soon chime in. I'd just hate to tell you it's fine and read later on that you had issues.........

newbietort

Yeah thanks I just want to get it all setup for him he has been in this tank with the heat pad red light etc for the last 12months+ with no uvb light is that right??

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yeah thanks I just want to get it all setup for him he has been in this tank with the heat pad red light etc for the last 12months+ with no uvb light is that right??
I failed to see that part. Unless he gets to spend time outside every day, He DESPERATELY NEEDS UVB light. A MVB bulb should do the trick.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
12 months without UBB That's far too long try to get this guy some real sunshine if you can